ADVERTISEMENT

NOW What--MWC?

DouglasPoke

Rancher
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2011
Parker, Colorado
Wow--yesterday was a big day in CFB land!

I am betting that Gloria Nevarez has been in touch with the PAC 4 equivalent. It has been reported as that having occurred and she wouldn't be doing her job if she wasn't in touch with her counterpart. It is a touchy act, because George knows he is on the way out now having a P5 conference left for dead under his regime. This is versus a MWC commissioner coming thru this recent two weeks or two months with all of her teams still under the MWC Tent.

GN's ability to reach out directly to the two NW teams may be limited by legal constraints, but common knowledge knows that she is either looking for two of the P4 teams to move or possibly trying to negotiate that her league comes into the P12. If the later is the case, the P12 moniker is saved, but alas back filled with all the MWC G5 teams, several of which may be P5 level or near P5 with a combination of many other teams with stable programs and fan bases plus AFA with a national reputation. I just cannot see a scenario that Stanford would stay, maybe Cal but if either did stay they would be always with one foot out the door.

MWC would have some warts--namely SJSU, Oregon State and Washington State will need to work to a different athletic budget, but now with the expanded playoffs in CFB they now have a legitimate chance of being that new league rep even if the auto bid is stripped away from PACWest. That was never happening, or highly infrequent, for them in the old P12. One playoff bid would certainly make them look at things differently and I suspect the payday would go far (estimated at approx $6million) to help ease some of the pain.

Given GN's history and resume ( see link below) on the west coast with the PAC 12 from 2010-2018 and with the WCC from 2018-2022 she has contacts. The 4 remaining schools were all in the league during her tenure. Connections were made and kept--it is a small world and esp in intercollegiate athletic administration. You have to appreciate the apparent close working relationship, as reported, that she has with Bohl in keeping UW on the positive side of the ledger. Not to mention her prior time at Cal as well! I just have this feeling that we have the right person at the right time.

GK with the P4 needs to go, so some type of parachute is given to him. GN is named commissioner and the MWC teams come into the fold in 2024 for the new branded PACWest conference . She is at about $800K/year and the PAC12 guy was at 1.8 million.

I don't see a scenario that they both work together, but maybe the understanding is that she takes over in a year when he parachutes away.

In the meantime for all of us, now what?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News