Rancher
Gold Member
Jul 13, 2001
64 eligible
5 wins - 20
4 wins - 17
3 wins - 1
28 ineligible

Pure speculation and upsets occur but I am thinking 16 of the 5 win teams make it for sure to at least 6 wins and at least 3 of the 4 win teams as well. The final tally could be as high as the upper 80’s or just below the needed 84. I am going with 83 at the minimum.

Beating CSU - how big was that? HUGE

Why was beating CSU a huge victory? It is because the MWC has the potential to get 8 teams eligible. If we do not close out with another win, getting to 5 wins keeps us ahead of AFA and USU in the event those teams get to 5. USU could win out and get to 6 conference wins bypassing us if we stay at 5. AFA cannot win more than 5. A 4-4 record this year could have left us the odd team out of a bowl slot.

Eligibility that could benefit the MWC is the final totals from the AAC, CUSA and MAC and SBC. That is where the “group of 5” have tie-ins to fill spots. It looks like there could be enough AAC, MWC and SBC teams to fill the 4 G5 bowls and that means a MWC finish of 5th or better has to be placed before any other MWC team can be placed.

There is a very small chance of that the Guaranteed Rate bowl could be short a B10 or B12 team depending on the final eligibility numbers and who is in the CFP. I would not hold count on that happening but at least at 7 wins if there are at-large spots needed 7 win teams have to be placed over 6 win teams thereby leaving 6-6 P5 teams hoping for a spot.

That is why getting to 7 is huge and putting ourselves in position to be a top 5 MWC. Winning in conference has its benefits.

Reactions: CCPoke and lclark2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News