ADVERTISEMENT

basketball article....

hirta

Cattle Baron
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2004
Greybull, WY.
here is a link to a basketball article that was written by Brandon. It is about as revealing as a blank page. Basically it is an interview with Coach Shyatt and he talks about how Coach Edwards likes to have all of his assistant coaches stay as close to home as possible between November to March. Now that the season is over they can evaluate where they are and get out and see what is out there. Let me see, one month before signing day and the Pokes have 4 open scholarships (they don't talk about Naughton, we are counting that he is gone, but the coaches aren't saying anything about him, which I understand because they can't), but the point that I am making is, it sure does seem late to be getting out finally one month before signing day. Brandon either didn't ask or Coach Shyatt didn't mention what positions they looking to fill other to say something general about how they like versatile players and we can see who the Pokes have lost and therefore they have positions to fill. They talked a little about Trevon Taylor and maybe he could be a player that can guard players from multiple positions including a 4 player. Yeah, let's have a 6'-6" wing attempt to body up and guard a 6'-8" or better PF who most likely out weighs our wing player by about 20-30 lbs! For about as revealing and in-depth this article was I could have read tea leaves and gotten just as much information.

You would think that it would be in the coaches best interest to talk about how they realized this team didn't make it into the post season and that they are working hard to load back up and work hard at getting to the post season next year, but not one word like that and nothing from Coach Edwards, just some general BS about recruiting from Coach Shyatt. If these coaches are trying to run fans away from the program from presenting a disappointing product on the court to absolutely mum about where the program is going, they are doing a great job of it.

In a way this team reminds me of the Colorado Rockies. The Rockies who have been major disappointments for years have appeared to be more interested in players having individual success, i.e. - Gold Gloves, batting titles, etc., etc. instead of talking and working toward team records and success. This Wyoming basketball program appears to be very happy to point to individual success' like James and Dalton making all-MWC teams while ignoring the lack of team success on the court. Frankly speaking this article is just something that tells you nothing good about what is happening in the program, and if anything it makes you wonder if the coaches are behind in recruiting because Coach Edwards doesn't like his coaches missing too much practice time during the season......but that couldn't really be the case could it?????? If anything this "newsless" article made me question more about the competence of this staff and what they are trying to accomplish. It sounds like they want a bunch of wing players that have the length (but not necessarily the bulk) to guard a variety of positions, from a point to a 4 player. I shouldn't have read this article cause it made me more depressed about the direction of the men's BB program, everything is a secret except for the lousy play on the court. To hell with this men's BB program!

Bring on football....!

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyom...cle_f204576d-b0b1-5f04-b4a6-deaebaedd294.html

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News