ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming in competition with Hawaii for Mission Hills (Cali.) WR

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
The senior season is about to get underway for Johnny Edwards, a 5-foot-10, 180-pound wide out from Mission Hills, Calif. This season Edwards will be asked to produce for his Bishop Alemany High School, while catching the eye of college football coaches as well.

Edwards, who claims a vertical of 36.6 inches, seems to have his eyes fixed on two schools each of which he has a strong connection. Hawaii features the opportunity to play in a pass-first offense and in a state where he has family. Wyoming features a connection as his wide receivers coach, Anthony Sargent, played for the Cowboys in 1986-87 catching 115 passes for the Pokes for 1,584 yards and 15 touchdowns.

“Hawaii likes to throw the ball,” Edwards said. “They have a coach who loves to put the ball in the air and I have family in Hawaii. That is a plus. My receivers coach used to go to Wyoming. That is how I began talking to the coaches. I want to take a visit there, I am not sure if I am going to make it an official or not. I do want to see the campus and everything, but so far I am really liking the coaches and how they communicate.”

Edwards said the Wyoming coaches have told him they would him to play wide receiver in Laramie and area likely to consider him as a return man as well.

In all, Edwards has five scholarship offers led by Wyoming and Hawaii. In addition, he has received offers from Northern Colorado, Northern Arizona, and San Jose State. Edwards believes he caught around 40 passes for 800 all-purpose yards and eight scores a year ago.

“I am fast, I run good routes and have great hands,” he said when asked his strengths on the field. “I can be used anywhere on the field. I return kicks, punts, and I can run wildcat set. I can play a little DB too.”

For now, Edwards plans to help his Bishop Alemany squad turn things around from a year ago when the school started the season 5-0 and ended the year on a five-game losing streak. He said he has a shot at some school records and thinks the environment is right to do so.

“I am trying to break some school records this year,” he said. “We have some tools to do it. We have a quarterback who can get me the ball and a coach who likes to pass. I am trying to improve on being more focused in the fourth quarter when things get tough.”

https://wyoming.rivals.com/news/california-wideout-seems-focused-on-wyoming-and-hawaii

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News