ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming gets verbal from athletic Florida LB

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
Wyoming football continues to make inroads in the state of Florida in looking for speed athletes after receiving a commitment from linebacker Jailyn Mays of Fort Meyers (Dunbar HS). The 6-foot-1 and 215 prospect hasn't visited the UW campus to-date.

UW secondary coach Curt Mallory was a big part in convincing Mays to verbal UW after spending time in the southeast evaluating talent.

"Coach Mallory has talked with me and made me feel Wyoming can be my home in college," said Mays. "We have built a relationship and talked quite often about the program and where I fit in."

The 2016 prospect plays middle linebacker at Dunbar High School, though because of his speed and athleticism should be moved to the outside. He has the intangibles you want to see in a linebacker with the quickness and good range.

Mays says he has other schools pursuing him including Marshall and South Florida after his verbal, and you can bet the UW recruiting staff will stay in consistent contact with the Floridian.

The Pokes gained four Florida High School products on 2014 signing day and all remain on the UW campus preparing for their second seasons in Laramie. Mays sees the Florida connections as another advantage to preparing for a potential long haul from his home.

The Pokes are ahead of schedule with their commitments compared to this time last year and previous seasons with four commits of July 4th.

Oklahoma Quarterback Chandler Garrett, North Dakota 6-foot-8 offensive linemen Dustin Weeks and Nebraska linebacker David Engelhaupt have joined Mays in choosing the Cowboys this summer.

The UW staff looks to continue to emphasize recruiting in Florida and have also sent feelers out in bordering Georgia.

https://wyoming.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1781129

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News