ADVERTISEMENT

Wyoming basketball recruiting Chase Foster (Highlands Ranch)

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
Highlands Ranch (Colo.) junior forward Chase Foster doesn't spend his weekends like most high school basketball stars. The 6-foot-5, 180-pound Foster spends his days off-the-court behind the wheel of a shuttle delivering cargo shipped into Centennial and Denver International Airport to destinations around Colorado.

The Wyoming basketball coaches are hoping Foster will show a willingness to deliver his basketball prowess to Laramie starting in the fall of 2014. It's an idea Foster is giving some thought to.

This winter Foster has led Coach Ronnie DeGray's Valor Christian squad to a 15-2 record and the state's top ranking in Class 4-A. Foster said he is averaging about 24 points, eight rebounds and three steals per game in DeGray's up-tempo, pressing style of play.

"It has been really good," Foster said of the Valor season. "We had two tough losses (Body and Columbine), but other than that, we have played really well."

Foster describes himself as a decent three-point and mid-range shooter. The left-hander said he also possesses some athletic ability. Foster said this season he has taken a step forward with his offensive game and is no longer willing to settle for jumpers.

"I feel like last year I would rather have taken the ball and shot it," Foster said. "This year I am more into driving the lane to get shots down low."

Foster said Wyoming and Colorado seem to be the early favorites due to the fact they have offered scholarships. He is also in contact with Denver University, Northern Colorado, Colorado State and San Francisco. For Foster, a positive coach, a good community and a school with a strong business program will be key in making his college decision.

After visiting both Laramie and Boulder in the last year, Foster has had time to grade out the two communities and seems impressed with both.

"I have gone up to both schools to check them out," Foster said. "I like CU a lot. Boulder, Colorado is one of those towns people either like it or don't and I really like it.

"Until my visit, I had never been to Laramie before and I didn't know what to expect until I was there," Foster continued. "I was impressed. I loved how supportive they are about their school in Wyoming. Wyoming is the only Division I school in the state. I love that about Wyoming. The entire state supports one team. I think that is incredible."

When asked how the two programs would use his talents, Foster said CU told him they felt he could be a spot-up shooter on their team and Wyoming tells him he would be a shooting guard. Foster said he likes the fact both teams play an up-tempo offense.

"Neither likes to do sets where they are set in stone," he said. "There is a lot of movement in each offense. I like that about both schools. At Wyoming I think I would probably be a shooting guard and maybe get to drive or play down low more than I would at CU."

Foster said he has not yet set up a timeline for his decision and while he said he wouldn't mind staying in the Front Range, he added his mother is from the West Coast and he isn't adverse to looking for a college in that direction either.

Chase Foster

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News