ADVERTISEMENT

We've Got to Give This Time to Work...

Raydio

Rough Rider
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Following the 34-14 beatdown by the Coogs in Laramie, I'm thinking any day now we should be getting some spin from the gaslighters.
The very same people who tried to shine us about Craig Bohl leaving behind a “foundation,” should probably shift to a narrative that says something like…”Jay Sawvel simply needs “his own guys” that reflect his long-term plan”, and this disaster season proves this.

Remember, it’s never the coach or the AD—at least at first. Then when it’s completely obvious, it’s only the coach.

I know a lot of folks never bought the "Bohl left a foundation" line, but a lot did. It was a respectful departing line of easy rhetoric from the AD and their parrots in the media, so I'm expecting any day to start hearing how a complete rebuild of the program should happen, because, I guess, Bohl didn’t really leave a foundation for Coach J—he actually hamstrung him by leaving behind players ill-suited for the type of offense Coach J envisioned, and it's been 10+ years anyway and time for new vision. Much of this is actually true to some degree. In any event, Coach J shouldn't be blamed for this season.

The mass evac of players to the portal at season’s end will hasten/underscore the need for players “who want to be here,” which means more freshmen, and fewer transfers, y’know, to build this thing right. A rebuild is coming in any event, but there needs to be justification and an explanation for this season, so I'm waiting to hear how some of the coaches saw a lot of this coming when Bohl the Great retired, but were powerless to do anything at the time because of honoring scholarships, or loyalty by some players that stayed when they could have transferred, NIL limitations, etc. The Pokes simply were unable to make the transition to the Sawvel era at the time. “We always knew that this program was going to need to go in a different direction” they’ll say, and with your patience and donation(s) to 1Wyo, CJC, and bumps in ticket costs we can turn a corner in 2-3 years--maybe seven. Now that conference realignment is possibly underway, what better way for UW to position itself for future success?

Next year, the bar of expectations will be stowed in a closet somewhere so that if we win an extra game or two, it can then be said that success is coming soon, justifying a two-year extension for Coach J which Burman already has printed up I'm sure. Who's with us?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.