ADVERTISEMENT

We'll Need a More Dynamic Quarterback...

Raydio

Rough Rider
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
....if we're ever going to compete in big boy football, we'll need to sidestep the notion that a young QB "needs time to grow." Once again, UW found itself playing a Power 5 conference team without the ideal team on the field. One year, we're inexperienced on defense, the next it's a young O-line, this year it's an untested QB. Always seems to be one missing intangible.
I'm guessing we're going to be ok in the conference. By the time Boise State comes around, hopefully the coaching staff will have Vander Waal throwing for more than 63 yards and creating more with his feet. At this juncture in the program under Craig Bohl, it's unacceptable to have a QB with this performance. I remember the criticism from posters who mercilessly ripped Nick Smith for not performing at a Josh Allen level when he was thrust into the starting role.
By halftime it was becoming apparent that WSU was going to key on the run and require our QB to make plays. He failed. In my book, he gets another half of football next week to show something--be a catalyst--or bring in Smith. Either he's not confident enough to make big throws, we lack the skill to help him, or we were simply overmatched. 31 passing yards in the 2nd half isn't going to get it. The running game is fine. Maybe in two years he'll be ready, but by that time the defense will need retooling, or we'll lack a decent RB, or our O-line will be too inexperienced.
It's frustrating: When we have a good D, we're missing pieces on offense. And vice versa. When we have a marquis QB, we don't have anybody to catch the ball. Or run it. Now we have a solid D, good running game, but a QB who after two games seems to lack confidence and hasn't made a big play yet.(3-13 on 3rd down today) I truly thought we were going to win a close 24-21 type game today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News