ADVERTISEMENT

UW SPRING FOOTBALL: Thursday Article/Bohl Audio

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
Improved Quarterback Play Highlights Thursday’s Practice

Cowboys Prepare for a Closed Scrimmage on Saturday

UW COACH CRAIG BOHL POST PRACTICE AUDIO:

Laramie, Wyo. (April 18, 2019) --・Thursday afternoon saw the Wyoming Cowboys conduct a non-padded practice in the Indoor Practice Facility in preparation for their second major scrimmage of the Spring this coming Saturday. Saturday’s scrimmage will be closed to the public.

Improved Quarterback Play Highlights Thursday’s Practice

Head Coach Craig Bohl was pleased with improved play from his quarterbacks in Thursday’s practice, and felt his team was able to accomplish a lot in spite of several players missing practice due to injury.・

“We went with a non-padded practice today and did some mental work,” said Bohl.・“We’re pretty beat up as a football team right now, and there was a non-padded day that we’re required to do.・I thought we got some good work in though.・We worked in the red zone.・I thought Sean (Chambers, redshirt freshman quarterback) threw the ball exceptionally well today.

“They’re both competitors (Chambers and sophomore quarterback Tyler Vander Waal), and we’re making progress.・Coach (Brent) Vigen is doing a real good job with them.”

Another area of his team that Bohl was asked to evaluate was the development of his offensive line and his tight ends and fullbacks that are under the direction of new coaches Bart Miller (offensive line) and Shannon Moore (tight ends/fullbacks).

“Every time you have new coaches, you have an opportunity for some new ideas,” said Bohl.・“It’s going to be important for us to run the football better, and both those two guys (coaches Bart Miller and Shannon Moore) have a big, big impact on our running game.・It’s not all on the running back (position).・I think we’ve really made great strides.・The film evaluation that I saw off of the last padded practice showed improvement by our offensive line.・Skyler Miller (junior fullback) is doing a good job, and I think some guys inside are doing well.・Logan Harris (junior offensive guard) is playing as well as he has since he’s been here.・Those things are encouraging for us.”

Skyler Miller’s Development as a Fullback One of the Positives From 2019 Spring Drills

After mentioning the play of fullback Miller, Bohl was asked what specifically he saw in Miller this Spring that was so encouraging.

“Skyler Miller has really done some good things,” said Bohl.・“What he’s able to do is adjust on the run.・He’s strong and he has the knack for being a very effective blocker.・He’s got a shot (to contribute).・We’d hoped that he would be this good, but he’s maybe a little further along that what we would have expected.”

Closed Scrimmage Next Up for Pokes

Wyoming’s next practice on Saturday will be the second major scrimmage of Spring Practice.・Saturday’s scrimmage will be closed to the public.

“We are going to get ourselves teed up to have a heck of a scrimmage on Saturday,” said Bohl.・“I’m in hopes 77 plays.・We’re a little thinner (in terms of number of players available) than we were before, but we went over 80 (plays last Saturday), and I thought we got a good evaluation.・If will be important for us to do that again.”

AJ Cooper’s New Duties as Defensive Run-Game Coordinator

There has been some changes on the Wyoming defensive coaching staff this offseason.・Jake Dickert was elevated from Safeties coach to the Defensive Coordinator position, and AJ Cooper has added the responsibility of Defensive Run-Game Coordinator to his duties.・Dickert will continue to coach the Cowboy safeties, while Cooper will continue to coach the defensive ends and coordinate special teams.・Bohl was asked specifically what Cooper’s added responsibilities entailed, what made him decide to organize his defensive staff in that manner and how significant Cooper’s new duties would be.

“It’s a pretty significant change,” said Bohl.・“What we’ve always strived to do is to have a guy who works with the front seven and is really experienced with the front seven, and then a coach on the back end.・Coach (Jake) Dickert’s experience is as more of a back-end guy, where AJ’s experience is more as a front-seven guy.・I think AJ has accepted this new role and really added great value.・He’s run this defense for a long time and has a great deal of knowledge.・As we looked at our defensive staff, Coach Dickert had coordinated before, but I thought it was important for us to acknowledge where AJ was at in his career.・He’s a guy who has been loyal to our program, has always been a really capable recruiter and has grown in his understanding of what we’re doing defensively.”

Injury Update

A couple key veterans returned to practice on Thursday.・Senior wide receiver Austin Conway was cleared to participate in all drills after coming back from a muscle pull.・Senior cornerback Tyler Hallwas also back at practice, but was wearing a red jersey indicating that he was not allowed to participate in any contact drills.・Hall had missed the last several practices as he was placed in concussion protocol before being allowed to return to practice.

Bohl was asked to update the status of sophomore center Patrick Arnold, to which Bohl said, “Yes, he (Patrick Arnold) is going to have surgery.・There are some things that are non-surgical, but they need to go in there and clean up his knee.・We’ll get a better idea once they go in and do that.・He’ll be done for the rest of spring.・The hope is by getting this done now, we’ll get him back working out this summer.

“We were hoping to get Keyon Blankenbaker (sophomore nickel back) back today, but he re-injured and tweaked his hamstring.・I don’t think it’s real serious.”・

Bohl said that Zach Watts, redshirt freshman offensive guard, will be having knee surgery in the near future.

The Cowboys are also short at tight end where redshirt freshman Jackson Marcotte and sophomore Nate Weinman are both currently being held out of practice.・Asked about the two young tight ends, Bohl said, “Jackson (Marcotte) is day-to-day.・We’re in hopes that he is going to do some individual drills today.・He won’t scrimmage, but we’ll hopefully have him back by next week.・Nate (Weinman) has some broken ribs.”

Spring Game to be Played Saturday, April 27

The next spring practice that will be free and open to the public will be the Spring Game on Saturday, April 27.・The Spring Game will be played in War Memorial Stadium on the UW campus in Laramie, with a 2 p.m. kickoff.・That will mark the end of 2019 Spring Practice for the Cowboys.・All other spring practices are closed to the general public.

Alumni Flag Football Game Prior to the Spring Game

Again this year, the Cowboy Joe Club’s W Club will sponsor an Alumni Flag Football Game prior to the Spring Game.・The Alumni Game is scheduled for 11:30 a.m. in War Memorial Stadium on Saturday, April 27 and will also be free and open to the public.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News