ADVERTISEMENT

UW Hoops recruiting Oldmar Christian's Dontay Bassett

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
Oldmar Christian School in Oldmar, Florida treated the Wyoming basketball team nicely in the 2015 Recruiting Class as Justin James and Andrew Moemeka both signed with the Cowboy program.

If the Pokes' coaching staff has their way they will also convince Oldmar forward Dontay Bassett to wear the Brown and Gold as well. Oldmar is a 6-foot-9, 210-pound athletic post who averaged 11 points and 10 rebounds per game last year. He reports scholarship offers from Wyoming, Virginia Tech, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee State, Utah State, Montana, and Loyola Marymount.

"I am a four that can run the floor," he said when asked to describe his game. "I like to rebound, block shots. I like to face up and knock down a mid-range shot and I am very active on the defensive side. I like to stay active on defense."

Bassett said he doesn't have a favorite, but listed his top three as Wyoming, Tulsa and Middle Tennessee State and said he is likely to make his visits and ultimately a decision before his senior season of basketball.

"I am looking for someplace that feels like home with the coaching staff, the basketball and the education lines up just right for my future," he said.

Bassett said he has spoken to the Wyoming coaches at length about how they see him fitting into the Cowboy program. Bassett said their emphasis is on defense and they would like to see him as a defensive big man getting rebounds and blocking shots.

"I talked to the head coach and both assistants so far," Bassett said. "I like the way they recruit. It is like they care about me and my future. They don't just tell everyone the stuff they tell me. I feel like it very sincere and like they mean it."

The future psychology major said he has also spoke to James and Moemeka about Wyoming and they have told him it is a beautiful place to be with a family feel around the program.

Bassett also offered a preview to Wyoming fans for what they can expect from James and Moemeka.

"Justin is a great teammate first of all," Bassett said. "When he is on the court, he makes the other players better. He shoots the ball really well and brings a lot of energy. He rebounds, passes, and his athleticism brings a lot to the court.

"Andrew is a funny guy. He is very active on the court. He blocks a lot of shots and has a lot of bounce, He is in on every rebound and dunks really hard too."

Dontay Bassett

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News