ADVERTISEMENT

UW Football recruiting Jackson Hole's Theo Dawson

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
Jackson Hole High School Linebacker Theo Dawson finds himself in the unique position of trying to select a college two years before he steps on campus. The University of Wyoming football coaches are hoping their vision becomes his as they recruit the All-Stater.

The 6-foot-2, 220-pounder said he plans on taking a two-year mission with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints which will begin next summer. The mission means he will count towards a school's recruiting class in 2018, instead of 2016. It is a similar route to college football as was taken by his father, Ted, who played at BYU in the late 1980's and early 90's.

"I'll make a commitment probably after my senior season, but before signing day," he said.

He said that fact hasn't been a problem for a number of schools. Dawson holds scholarship offers from Wyoming, Air Force, Montana St, and Dartmouth and holds a preferred walk-on spot at Brigham Young University in Provo. He is also talking to Utah State, Utah, Stanford, Northwestern, and Washington State after a season producing 1,737 total yards as a fullback and 88.5 tackles defensively. For his efforts, he was named to the Casper Star-Tribune's Super 25, and was named the Class 3A Offensive Player of The year.

Dawson said he is interested in a school with high academic prestige, a successful program, a strong coaching staff and a commitment to him as an athlete. He said the Wyoming coaching staff has taken an interest in him.

"I have been in close contact with them," Dawson said. "We exchange phone calls on a weekly basis. I have been there a couple of times on visits to the University of Wyoming. I am super excited about what they are doing there and some of the improvements they are making to their facilities. They have been talking about both positions (middle linebacker and fullback) so we'll see what happens there."

Dawson said he will be at Stanford soon for a visit and he is looking forward to it.

"Schools like Stanford and Northwestern due to their academic prestige," he said. "I also like Wyoming, I like their coaching staff and what they are doing as a program."

In addition to football, Dawson said he runs the 100, 200, and 400 meter dash with a personal best in the 100 meters of 11.55. He is also an accomplished wrestler, going 17-1 this winter before injuring his shoulder.

https://wyoming.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1786200

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News