ADVERTISEMENT

UW football offers in-state prospect Lane Tucker (Gillette)

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
Gillette, Wyo. has been very good to the University of Wyoming football team over the past four years, netting the Cowboy coaches two prospects, Austin Fort and Zach Taylor. This year the Cowboy coaches hope to keep that pipeline open with the recruitment of Lane Tucker from Campbell County High School.

The 6-foot-4, 250-pound Tucker was All State on both offense and defense last season accounting for 7.5 sacks, two blocked kicks and 37 tackles. The resulting game film has netted him scholarship offers from Wyoming, New Mexico, North Dakota State, Weber State, Columbia, and Montana State. He is also in conversation with Northern Illinois, Washington, and Iowa State.

“Lane is a big physical athlete,” said his high school coach Vic Wilkerson. “He has a motor that does not stop. He plays sideline to sideline on defense and has great feet as an offensive tackle."

Tucker said the Wyoming coaches are talking to him about playing defensive end in college. Tucker has been to Laramie for Junior Day where he met Defensive Line Coach Pete Kaligas and Wyoming Head Coach Craig Bohl. Last weekend Tucker went to Laramie with his team to the Wyoming team camp and pulled a hamstring, which may have been a benefit.

“I spent most of my time talking to the coaches and went on a golf cart ride with Coach Bohl and learned what his vision is at the University of Wyoming," said Tucker. "I think he has a really good thing going there. The things he stands for and what he is trying to build is really impressive. They are things I can buy into.”

Tucker said in addition to Wyoming, he has visited Junior Days at Iowa State and North Dakota State. He said he hopes to find a friendly coaching staff he can trust and a strong academic program in physical therapy.

“I would say Wyoming, New Mexico and NDSU really stand out to me thus far,” Tucker said. “Columbia is a long way away and Weber State is a new offer, so I haven’t formed a connection with their coaches yet.”

Tucker said he moved to Gillette when he was eight and has two cousins who went to college in Laramie. He said he is well aware of Wyoming and that probably benefits the Cowboys.

“You grow up in Wyoming and everyone here is a Wyoming fan and supports the university,” Tucker said. “You grow up, and turn on the TV and look for a Wyoming game. You go to a college football game and you are probably going to the University of Wyoming.”

https://wyoming.n.rivals.com/news/gillette-defender-could-be-the-next-camel-in-laramie

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News