ADVERTISEMENT

UW battles BYU, Utah State for McFarland

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
While the Wyoming Cowboys aren't playing the Brigham Young University Cougars on the football field much anymore, they do tangle with them from time-to-time in recruiting. If the relatively new Wyoming football staff is interested in prying Darius McFarland out of Utah, they will have to post a win over the Cougars on their home turf.

McFarland is a 6-foot-2, 250-pound defensive end/lineman from Boxelder High School in Brigham City, Utah. Last season he was named All-region in basketball and football, garnering the honor on the gridiron for his work as a tight end. Defensively, McFarland posted 42 tackles, four sacks, a punt block and a fumble recovery.

BYU is the only school to have offered McFarland and they are interested in him as a defensive end. McFarland has enough interest in the Cougars to commit to attending a Junior Day coming up, as well as a padded camp in Provo this summer.

"BYU was the first ones who were talking to me," McFarland said. "I think eighth grade was the first time I heard from them. There is that factor. I love Provo and I think their environment in football is very unique, and a place where you can be set up for the NFL or life after football."

Wyoming made its case to McFarland last month and received a favorable response. McFarland, who said he is likely to major in either education or sports management, attended Junior Day in Laramie last month.

"I thought it was great," he said of his Laramie visit. "I loved it out there. I loved how we had one-on-one time with our position coach. The facilities are going to be improving soon, so I really liked that. They made that emphasis that our facilities will be top-notch in the next few years. They are committed to not only football, but the academic side as well. It seems like a place where you can be comfortable in a small town."

He said his position coach, Pete Kaligas, didn't offer specifics on when a scholarship offer might be coming, but McFarland said the two seemed to click.

"They want to see my highlight tape, McFarland said. "What I took from it is if I can get out there some more or be in contact more with them an offer might come in from there. Coach Kaligas was just really high on me and loving what I was doing."

In addition to the Junior Days at BYU and Wyoming, McFarland said he plans to attend Junior Days at Nevada and Utah State. He said he is likely also to attend camps at Utah State, and the All-Poly Camp, as well as the Mountain West Elite and Northwest Elite camps.

"I do like Utah State as well," McFarland said. "Their facilities are amazing, their coaches have been very nice. I have been going to unofficials like basketball games. They have great fan support. It is a very unique, small town and just a place where you can be comfortable and they place a great emphasis on academics."

For now he said he plans to play defensive end this fall for Boxelder High. McFarland, who said he would like to have a college decision made by the end of the summer. He added he has played tight end, defensive end, defensive line, middle linebacker, fullback and long snapper in high school.

"One of my strengths is versatility," he said. "I played 6-or-7 different positions thus far and maybe more coming soon. I am above average athletic defensive lineman. I use my speed, my quickness and smarts to get by people and be around the ball for the most part.

"I only have one offer right now, so I'll have to wait and see and if nothing happens, I'll probably be committed earlier, but otherwise I will want to keep an open mind."

Darius McFarland

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News