ADVERTISEMENT

The 'True Grit' Game

TheCup

Rancher
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2002
That's how I'll remember last night. The Cowboys had an ENORMOUS amount of bullshit thrown at them. And after the 4-game stretch leading into last night they had every excuse to lick their wounds and take a completely understandable loss to a hot team.

Instead, Maldo and Ike bit down on the reins, pulled those Navy 6's, and hollered "Fill your hands you son of a bitch!"

There were two enduring images last night. The first was Maldo basically crumpling and being carried off the floor after overtime. The guy was totally spent and they basically helped him off like Jordan in the flu game. I'm not sure the last time we saw a guy leave it all on the court like that.

The second was near the end of regulation when Ike needed to make the two free throws. As Ike lined up the first, a small group of Utah State fans sitting in the middle of the Wyoming season ticket area stood up and, in typical white bread Utah fashion, started a loud 'You Will Miss it' chant. As they did, a young fan sitting near the Wyoming basket stood up and made his stand. Many are saying he's a hero. I don't know about that, but he pointed at them and shouted "You better shut the **** up!" It was clear this was not intended as an idle threat. Ike lined up the second free throw and drilled it. As it went through the basket he pointed at the fan who stood up for our people and our way of life and nodded. Friends, as I watched this scene play out I am not ashamed to say I was moved to yell in such a way that my voice broke like a pubescent boy's. The performance was humbling.

Some other, less important, takeaways:

- Maldo was on crutches after the game. Given he had just played the remainder of the game, I'm sure it was precautionary. I would also bet that they do whatever they can to give Maldo the night off against SJSU. Hopefully we can get away with it because the potential NET hit from a loss to SJSU would be catastrophic.

- Dusell is on the verge of breaking out, probably because he brought the 'fro back. He made an early 3 but got derailed by some insanely quick foul trouble. I think we'll see a big game from Dusell on Saturday.

- Linder's assistant group did a terrific job in his absence. Their decision to hold Ike out the entire first half took some real balls, but it paid off. Great work by them.

- I think there's a greater than zero chance Linder got himself tossed purposefully. Wyoming was a little flat in the opening segment. I've seen good coaches use that tactic in years past to fire up the team and the home crowd. If it wasn't purposeful, it was certainly righteous. The way Ike is officiated borders on the obscene. He is fouled on nearly every possession, and then subjected to the worst kind of hypocrisy as his big, strong defenders flop in front of him like a developmental pro wrestler selling a Stone Cold stunner.

- Verne Harris and Larry Spaulding have been ruining games in Laramie for the better part of 30 years. They are short men with big chips on their shoulders. I am certain their wives all have boyfriends who satisfy them better than they can. I will waste no more breath on them.

What a night it was. We all knew this team was good, but now we also know they have some hard bark on them. This is the most mentally tough team we've seen in a long time in Laramie, maybe ever, and it goes to show that this generation has a reservoir of toughness and heart that they often don't get credit for. It's a hell of a group.

yonguain.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News