ADVERTISEMENT

Response from B of T #2 re beer at athletic events......

UzbekPoke

Cattle Baron
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Cosmic Universe
"......Thanks for the note regarding the ability to serve beer and wine at UW athletic events. This issue has generated a great deal of discussion over the years. While I understand the points you make, I remain opposed to providing alcohol at athletic events. Not only have I encountered many instances of inebriated fans at games, a situation that shouldn’t be encouraged, the various sporting events are part of the collegiate experience. As such, most of the students attending them are not old enough to purchase alcohol.
For many years now, UW has worked hard to diminish the role that alcohol consumption plays as part of the college experience. Permitting beer and wine at athletic events that are an extension of college life would undermine this effort.
We can at least agree on one thing – Go Pokes...."
------------

My response..

Thanks sir, for your response and sharing your thoughts.
I understand your concerns re responsible alcohol consumption and I wholeheartedly agree the need for the University to be in the fore front on this.
As you know alcohol is served in the Wildcatter boxes. In the times I have utilized the boxes, I have seen no evidence of underage drinking or inebriated fans. What makes the folks in the Wildcatter boxes more responsible in their consumption of alcohol then you feel the average adult sitting down in the stands would be?
By having a controlled source of beer/wine sales at the stadium I think we will see less inebriation by adults. The “I have to over consume pre game because the stadium is dry,” the need to “sneak a bottle in the boot” contributing to a “have to drink it all” attitude, and the practice to leave the stadium at half time to “slam down” multiple alcoholic beverages should lessen due to knowing you can have a beer in the stadium. I have been to multiple sporting events serving alcohol, the Rockies and the Bronco’s being but a few, and have seen little evidence of rampant inebriation or underage consumption due to the reason the sale of alcohol is controlled by the stadium.

In closing I feel the sale of beer and wine at the stadium in a controlled way can actually illustrate to the student population the responsible use of alcohol. If they see an “of age” adult have a beer or two at the game, not get intoxicated, still act responsibly, and enjoy and support the team, what better illustration of responsibility could you ask for…
Again thanks for sharing your thoughts,

Enjoy your summer and thanks for your efforts on behalf of UW,

Go Pokes
-----------

I think we have a ways to go to see fruition of beer/wine being sold in the War/AAA anytime soon......

Go Pokes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News