ADVERTISEMENT

QB Chandler Garrett remains committed to Wyoming

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
To talk to Mustang (Okla.) High School quarterback and future Wyoming Cowboy Chandler Garrett is to hear from a young man who is ready for the next step in his career, as well as someone who is proud of the commitment he has given to Wyoming.

“I had several phone calls with coaches calling me, especially lately, to find out what is going on with my recruiting,” Chandler said. “I tell them that and (Wyoming) Coach Bohl and I shook hands on June 14 and a man’s word is important. I haven’t wavered on my commitment no matter who has come calling.”

Garrett added that he wasn’t the only Oklahoma native who has committed to Wyoming that is hearing from the other college coaches.

“I know Oklahoma State asked Jace Webb if they would be interested in a scholarship offer,” Chandler said. “He told them, ‘y’all offered too late.’”

Garrett is coming off a strong season in which the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder was named All-City, and the District MVP after throwing for 2,900 yards and 24 touchdowns passing and another 14 scores rushing. Garrett led his his team to a 7-4 mark and an appearance in the state quarterfinals where it lost to Broken Arrow High School.

“This year I really just being a better leader and helping our underclassmen on the field,” Garrett said when asked how he improved. “Being at a larger school sometimes guys who are juniors haven’t been in a varsity game yet. Personally, I would say I got better at being able to throw the ball, going through my progressions faster and making better reads.”

Garrett’s recruiting contact for Wyoming is Mike Bath who was in Garrett’s home last week. He said last week there was little discussion over whether he would redshirt this season or not. He said the plan for now is for him to come into Laramie this fall, work hard and get a few weeks into the season before making that decision. He said the willingness to work is a common trait among Wyoming recruits.

“The Wyoming recruit as I can tell by the kids is tough, hard-nosed and has a passion for football,” Chandler added. “I think that is something all the players up there, especially the younger kids who have been recruited by this staff seem to embody. The coaches say the best practices they had last year were had in the last couple weeks. That shows the willingness to get better and prepare. That tells me the program is in the right hands and going in the right direction.”

As the first recruit in the boat for the 2015 recruiting class, Chandler said he has been instrumental in recruiting the rest of his class. For Chandler, he said that is part of surrounding himself wth the best players and people he can.

“As the quarterback, in general, especially in your own state you are supposed to help the coaches out in terms of who they are looking at and who they are recruiting,” Garrett said. “Recruiting is the way you get the players that are going to be around for the next four or five years. Wyoming is a great place where you can grow as a football player, and as a man. The coaches have been dealt a low hand, but the right people are there. The system works, they are building something and they will be winning.”

Garrett said he was in Laramie during the second week in December for his official visit and enjoyed the food, snowmobiling, and getting time with the new recruiting class.

“I got to hang out with a lot of the football players - like Josh Allen, got to talk to Brian Hill,” Garrett said. “It was neat to see the guys you see on TV and talk to them. (Former UW Strength and Conditioning Coach David) Duval had the entire team over to his out to watch UFC and he cooked about 80 steaks. We went snowmobiling the next day. I have never seen anything as beautiful in my life.”

This winter Garrett has rejoined the Mustang basketball team where he is the starting power forward on a squad which also has three other starters who are bound for Division I basketball programs. The Mustang High School basketball team is currently 7-3 after playing against national competition in Myrtle Beach and will head to Florida in Jan. for another tournament.

“I play the four and the five,” Chandler said. “I play mostly the four, but I started as a freshman and didn’t play my junior year and last night (Wednesday) was my first night back in the starting line-up. I am averaging about eight points per game and 10 rebounds per game. I’m the dirty man in the post. I get about two or three charges-a-game.”

https://wyoming.n.rivals.com/news/garrett-ready-for-his-time-in-laramie

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News