ADVERTISEMENT

Prolific RB Overstreet commits to Wyoming

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
The Wyoming football program picked up their third commitment of 2015 when prolific running back Kellen Overstreet committed to UW on Monday. Overstreet ran for an eye catching 3,327 yards, a 9.2 yards per carry average, and 53 scores a year ago during his junior campaign.

"I've been praying a lot the last couple of weeks about decision," said Overstreet. "After visiting in April during the spring game and communicating with the coaches up there, Wyoming really stuck out. I liked the vibe and atmosphere. The coaches were welcoming, excited and good energy about the future of the program."

Overstreet visited Laramie during the Pokes spring game and he just completed a visit to Illinois State on Friday before making his decision on Monday.

"I know the Mountain West is a pretty tough conference and competitive," said Overstreet. "I know there is a good group of backs already in the (Wyoming) program. I'm not sure, if the plans are to play immediately or not."

Overstreet had originally planned to wait and make a decision during his senior season, though Craig Bohl's staff made a big impression on the 5-foot-11 and 200 pound prospect that he was convinced an early verbal was the best fit.

Wyoming's new emphasis on the power running game appealed to him, along with the diligence of the UW staff with the interest they showed in recruiting. Overstreet should bring Bohl's program an overall running back prospect.

"I'd probably describe myself as a dual threat running back, that I can both run and catch the ball out of the backfield. Do a little of both," said Overstreet. "My vision is pretty good and I can lower the shoulder and hit the defense for extra yards."

Overstreet has been described as a game changer and his numbers tend to indicate the potential of the Hamilton (Mo.) prospect via Penny High School, a team that went 11-3 during the season and helped garner him first team all-state honors.

Overstreet received offers from Wyoming and Air Force at the FBS level and Northern Iowa, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Illinois State, Holy Cross and Bucknell at FCS.

Wyoming has received 2015 commitments from Aurora (Co.) linebacker Kevin Prosser, Belleview (Ne.) wide receiver C.J. Johnson and Overstreet.

Kellen Overstreet

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News