ADVERTISEMENT

Pokes receive 7th verbal with OG Jace Webb

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
It may have been the first commitment the Wyoming football staff has taken during a dove hunt, but then again, Jace Webb might be a memorable one for this staff for years to come.

The 6-foot-4, 297-pound guard from Hollis, Okla. said he was in Laramie this weekend for an official visit. That was followed by some reflection on what Wyoming offered and a phone call from the hunt to tell the Cowboy coaching staff he was on his way.

"I was dove hunting on Monday and I called Coach (Mike) Bath and told him I would like to play for him," Webb said Wednesday. "I had been thinking about it for a long time. I told my parents that is what I was going to do. It happened pretty quick. I don't know how to explain it.

"I called Coach Bath and told him and he ran down the hall to Coach Bohl's office and told him. Then I got the Oline coach and then I got all the coaches. They were all really excited."

Webb comes to Wyoming selecting the Cowboys over offers from Army and Louisville, Ohio, North Texas, Tulsa and others. He also had inquiries from Oklahoma and Texas Tech. Last season Webb was named All-Conference and played a significant part in a 14-2 season mark by Hollis, as well as its appearance in the Oklahoma State Playoffs.

"I was leaning towards Wyoming before my visit because the head coach has a great background and when I went there they were real great people," Webb said. "I almost instantly knew that was the place for me. The coaches were great and the players were real nice. It seemed like a great place to be."

Webb added that Laramie's small town feel also led him to choose the Cowboys, as he said he was looking for a "country town." Webb said he came in Saturday and was impressed by the reception for him at the team hotel, as well as the fact he was allowed to walk the field on Saturday and watch a highlight video on the jumbotron before spending the evening meeting with the players.

"It was a great atmosphere there, I really enjoyed it."

https://wyoming.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1800844

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News