ADVERTISEMENT

OT Keegan Cryder talks about his UW commitment

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
The University of Wyoming’s coaching staff features a philosophy of running the ball behind road graders along the offensive line. Littleton (Colo.) tackle Keegan Cryderbelieves he can be one of those lineman and for that reason, he has committed to the Cowboys.

The 6-foot-4, 250-pounder from Dakota Ridge High School said he committed this summer after receiving a Wyoming offer, as well as interest from Colorado School of Mines. He said Wyoming first contacted him at the end of last school year and asked him to come to the Cowboys’ two-day camp in Laramie. That led to a scholarship offer and a commitment the next month.

“I took about a month to decide and had a it took lot of conversations with my parents,” Cryder said. “From the start, the Wyoming coaching staff was unbelievable. They care about me so much as a person, so much more than the other coaches. I wanted to go to a great engineering school and I could learn a lot from Coach (Scott) Fuchs.”

Cryder said he enjoyed the Wyoming camp and his experience in Laramie led to a meeting with Coach Bohl where he was offered a scholarship. It was an experience he did not take for granted.

“Coach Bohl called me into his office and offered me. It was unbelievable. God blessed me with something. It was just unreal. You think about it and all of the hard work and hours in the weight room just paid off. It was just unbelievable. It was a gift from God.

“I gave them a commitment at the end of July or beginning of August,” said Cryder. “I told Coach (AJ) Cooper and he was ecstatic. Then Coach Fuchs sent a text right after, they were all excited.”

Cryder features brawn, illustrated by a squat of 500 pounds and a bench press of 300 to go along with brains. Cryder has a 4.3 grade-point average and scored a 26 on the ACT. His high school coach said Wyoming is getting a good one.

“Keegan is a great kid,” said Dakota Ridge Coach Ronald Woitalewicz. “I have known him basically his whole life, as he is the same age as my grandson who plays for us and they played youth football together growing up. He is a member of a group called "Men Of Dakota" which is a group or leaders at our school. He is very active in his youth group at church. He was a first team All-Conference player as a junior and second team All State as a Junior. He is a team captain for us this fall. He is just an outstanding kid.”

Coach Woitalewicz added that Cryder’s 4.2 GPA comes despite the fact he takes AP calculus, AP chemistry, and Honors Physics.

Since committing to Wyoming, Cryder said he has become a big Cowboy fan and likes what he sees on the field.

“I have seen a team that has continuously gotten better,” he said. “I look at previous records and what this staff has done with the team has been amazing. I have no doubt I made the right choice. I can’t wait to be a part of it and be a part of something special up there.”

https://wyoming.rivals.com/news/littleton-tackle-excited-to-be-a-cowboy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News