ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska defender pledges Wyoming

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
Youhanna Ghaifan, a 6-foot-3, 248-pound defensive tackle, left Sudan with his family in 2003, beginning a global journey that will bring him to the University of Wyoming to play football starting next fall.

Ghaifan, now an All-State football player in Grand Island, Neb. committed to the Wyoming football team on Wednesday evening. He is the fifth known commitment in the Wyoming Recruiting Class of 2015.

"I was thinking about it (his college choice), and I know Wyoming is the place where I want to be," Ghaifan said. "So, I thought why wait for other schools if Wyoming is where I want to commit?

"Coach (Craig) Bohl was really excited," Ghaifan continued. "It sounded like they really wanted me and I wanted to be a part of Wyoming."

Ghaifan said he was impressed by the new Wyoming coach saying Bohl was "consumed," with the idea of making players into winners. I could see myself as a part of that. I also liked the weightlifting coach (Zac Duval)."

Last year Ghaifan led Grand Island Central Catholic in tackles, as the Crusaders ended the year with a 5-3 mark. According to the Grand Island Independent newspaper, he also averaged 19 points per game on the basketball court. Ghaifan also plays soccer for Grand Island Central Catholic. While Wyoming was the first scholarship offers, Nebraska, South Dakota State, and North Dakota State were recruiting him.

"I have the mentality that I will be better than the man across from me and I will out-work him," Ghaifan said. "I would say I am quick off the ball, I use my hands well, and I have a go-get mentality."

Ghaifan came to America as a refugee from the Sudan. He said his family then moved to Egypt before coming to Atlanta and eventually Grand Island. While he has spent the early part of his life traveling the world, he was impressed with what he saw in Laramie during his visit two weeks ago.

"I really liked the mountains and the elevation is something that I liked," Ghaifan said. "I've never been that high of elevation like that. I thought it was something I had never seen before."

Ghaifan said he plans to visit both of Wyoming's first two home football games of the season.

"I hope to see that I made the right choice."

Youhanna Ghaifan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News