ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe it's time to discuss the Group of 5 splitting off

AggiePoke

King of the Cowboys
Apr 26, 2007
The Power 5 - especially the top dogs- will dominate college football. It's time to bid them adieu and form a separate football division. After moving Cincy, BYU, Houston and UCF to the Big 12, there are 62 teams from the American, C-USA, MAC, MW, Sun Belt and the remaining independents. ( I think my math is correct). So I propose 5 sixteen team conferences which means there need to be 18 more schools added to get to 80 schools. (or go with 6 conf. of fourteen schools each so need to get to 84 total)
Probably not difficult to do as schools like James Madison are already making that transition to FBS status.
I don't how you limit scheduling games with the top dogs but I'd think a % of the revenue received by the "cannon fodder" school playing at Bama should be put into a pot which would be shared by all 80 teams.
I'd like to say no games with a Power 5 schools so the Vanderbilt's and Arizona's of Power 5 football will have perpetual losing records as they couldn't load up with a weak non conference schedule of Group of 5 and FCS teams to get 4 wins and then hope to get 2 more in conf. play.
I'd even suggest the 80 schools work as one for TV rights and offer creative ways to market the product. Be aggressive in NIL matters, maybe seek a Group of 5 network to supplement what Fox or CBS Sports provided in coverage.
The marketing is wide open and with so much technology and forums available, the Group of 5 wouldn't be beholding to the major networks especially ESPN.
My ideas on this New Year's Eve night. May 2022 be the best ever for you and your teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.