ADVERTISEMENT

LV Bishop Gorman's Brandon Gahagan at UW Junior Days

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
While he ended up at Fresno State, Las Vegas linebacker Nela Otukolo liked what he saw in Laramie and passed that along to high school teammate Brandon Gahagan. The result was Gahagan giving Laramie a shot and he seems glad to have done so.

"It gave me a different mindset," Gahagan said of his Junior Day visit to Laramie. "I had been to Jackson Hole, but had never been to Laramie. Nela told me that (Laramie) surprised me in a lot of ways. I was very impressed with facilities, the set up I love the direction of the coaching staff. I think they are doing a lot of great things."

Last season the 5-foot-10, 170-pound Gahagan accounted for 357 receiving yards and 681 all-purpose yards for Las Vegas' Bishop Gorman, generally considered one of the best football programs in the nation. While he is still seeking his first scholarship offer, he said this weekend did give Wyoming and their coaching staff a chance to make their case. Gahagan seemed particularly impressed with Wyoming head coach Craig Bohl.

"I was impressed with what he had to say," Gahagan said of Bohl. "He said you wouldn't be here if we weren't interested in you and vice versa. You wouldn't be here if you weren't interested in our school. He is straight forward and honest. I can appreciated that, because recruiting is almost more of a game play in a way, and he just said, you wouldn't be here if we didn't want you. He said if I offer you a scholarship, I will be 100 percent sure and I won't withdrawal that offer at any time."

Gahagan said the day started with introductions of the coaches, followed by presentations by the coaches, as well as time spent touring facilities. Gahagan said he and his father spent some time with cornerbacks coach John Richardson who talked to them more specifically about what the Wyoming program is all about. He said the Wyoming offensive and defensive coordinators then went in-depth about their philosophy and goals as a program. He said receivers coach Kenni Burns told him that after taking five receivers this year, the Cowboys are likely to only take one or two this year, which means Gahagan may have to earn a scholarship during an individual camp.

"That is just another challenge," Gahagan said. "It's good because you want them to be as sure about you as you are about them. I am hoping for an offer, that is the goal. It was good to know what Wyoming is about."

Brandon Gahagan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News