ADVERTISEMENT

LB/TE Tobeck plans second UW visit

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
After a season that saw him All-League on both sides of the ball, Puyallup (Wash.) linebacker/tight end Mason Tobeck has drawn serious interest from colleges along the Front Range. Currently, the 6-foot-2, 218-pound Tobeck holds four scholarship offers, a number that could grow after the camp season.

Among the schools offering a scholarship is the Wyoming Cowboys, which offered Tobeck, the son of former NFL center Robbie Tobeck, during a Junior Day in Laramie this spring.

"I got there an hour early and I talked to (Wyoming Assistant Coach Pete) Kaligas, who is the Washington recruiter," Tobeck said. "I got to go in and talk to (Wyoming Head Coach Craig) Bohl who said they were going to offer me. Then they took me on a campus tour and I got to participate in the Junior Day. They said they liked me as an outside linebacker. Maybe they would move me around, we'll see."

Tobeck said he came away from his Laramie experience impressed by the college and the community.

"I really loved the facilities and the stadium just being right there," he said. "It just felt like tradition. There are always people at their games. That is a big deal in Wyoming. I liked the small college town, so that was really exciting to see. It was cool how it is all elevated at 7200 feet. That was unique and the staff was awesome. I had a good time, I really enjoyed it."

Tobeck will be back in Laramie on June 16 to take part in a individual skills camp at Wyoming. Two days later he will take part in a camp in Boulder to check out the Colorado program. He will camp later in the month at Washington State and Idaho.

Last season Tobeck helped his Cascade Christian program to a 13-1 mark and an appearance in the state semifinals. The All-State linebacker managed 115 tackles and nine sacks and was named the league MVP on defense. He also scored nine touchdowns on offense and was named All-League as a pass catcher. He said right now schools are split on whether they see him on offense or defense.

"Wyoming and Colorado and Wazzu, and Montana State all like me at linebacker. CSU is more of an H-back/tight end. Idaho is an athlete right now. They aren't sure," said Tobeck.

Currently, Tobeck holds scholarship offers from Wyoming, Idaho, Colorado State, and Montana State. He said he hasn't made a list of favorites yet, but is interested in learning more about all the schools who have extended a scholarship offer.

"If I had to chose today it would be a tough decision," he said. "I like the college towns. That is something I look for, momentum with the coaching staff. You get that feel that a staff is ready to go and get after it. Just a good all-around family atmosphere among the players. I look for everyone getting along."

Mason Tobeck

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News