ADVERTISEMENT

Juco QB Josh Allen makes it official and signs UW

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
"Cowboy up."

More than just a slogan, junior college quarterback Josh Allen used it to commit to the Wyoming football program on Wednesday night. Allen signed his National Letter of Intent on Sunday at 5 p.m. in his hometown of Firebaugh, Calif.

"It was Wednesday night when we made the decision," the 6-foot-5, 215-pound Allen said. "I told Coach (Brent) Vigen and said we need to Cowboy up. He asked if I was committing and I said I was signing Sunday night and I want to be a Cowboy. He said I can sleep better at night knowing we won't be looking for another quarterback."

The junior college quarterback recently completed his freshman year at Reedley College in California where he passed for 2,055 yards and 26 touchdowns to just 5 interceptions. Allen completed 49 percent of his passes. He also ran 113 times for 660 yards and 10 more scores. Thanks to those numbers Allen has been offered scholarships by Wyoming as well as Eastern Michigan. He said Indiana has also been in contact.

Allen said Wyoming has told him they are impressed by his arm, his size, as well as his willingness to pull the ball down and run for a first down when there are no open receivers.

Allen visited the University of Wyoming this month and liked what he saw, telling gowyogo.com that he had some serious conversations with his family. Those conversations came this week.

"We talked about all of our options and the colleges and felt like the coaches in Wyoming were real," Allen said. "They tell you the truth and they wanted me there. I saw pictures of the town, the building, it looked beautiful. It is going to be a great place to be."

Colby Kirkegaard has left the UW program after quarterbacking Wyoming for his senior season. That leaves Junior Tom Thornton, senior transfer Cameron Coffman, Junior College transfer Aaron Young, and freshmen Austin Fort and Nick Smith on the roster - none of which with many meaningful snaps. Allen said the ability to get into the quarterback competition in Laramie was an attraction during his recruitment.

"It played into my decision," he said. "Knowing that I have my redshirt year and there is a senior transfer and we will be competing interested me."

UW head coach Craig Bohl said he liked the upside of Allen as a quarterback and sees his best play ahead.

"The future really looks bright for Josh (Allen)," said Bohl. "He is a guy who has really matured during his one year in junior college. He is a tall guy, who is putting on weight. He has a strong arm. He's got a great head for the game.

"Any time you are playing a pro-style offense like we run, you need a trigger man who can really make a difference, and we feel great about Josh's ability."

Josh Allen

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News