ADVERTISEMENT

Juco cornerback commits to Wyoming

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
On Thursday afternoon Marrico Gafford was packing his bags at Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs unsure of where he would be unpacking next. Sunday, he figured out his next destination, committing to the Wyoming Cowboy football team during an official visit in Laramie.

The 5-foot-10, 182-pound cornerback, who goes by Rico, said he chose Wyoming over the likes of Ohio, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa and Troy, based on the relationship he felt with the Pokes in Laramie, as well as the coaching staff.

"I feel like I fit in pretty well," Gafford said. "I just enjoyed meeting the coaches and having that feeling like I am part of the family without even committing. It was like I was already with the team."

Wyoming is getting a very athletic and productive corner. Gafford claims a 4.3 time in the 40-yard dash and a 33-inch vertical leap. Last season he accounted for 58 tackles, two interceptions and one fumble recovery for a touchdown. Gafford has already graduated with an associate of arts in general studies and will be in Laramie in time for the spring semester and spring football.

Gafford said he spoke with Wyoming Head Coach Craig Bohl Sunday morning when the head Poke told asked him what Gafford was thinking. Bohl got the response he was looking for and it led to a number of hugs and high fives.

"I told him I wanted to be a Cowboy," Gafford said. "He got up, hugged me and we went back outside and told the coaches and they all did the same. It feels pretty good. The process was really stressful when I didn't have offers. Then I got some offers and it was stressful to make sure I picked the right school."

Gafford said he went to Iowa Western after his time at Iowa powerhouse West Des Moines Dowling. At that point he had just one scholarship offer and felt like he could do better than that.

"I only had one offer and I wasn't satisfied with that one," Gafford said. "I talked to my family and my high school coach Tom Wilson and he suggested I go to Iowa Western to go get re-recruited and that turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life."

The Wyoming coaches offered Gafford a scholarship last summer and Gafford said since then they have kept close tabs on him with Coach Curt Mallory doing a very good job getting to he and his mother. For now, he said he is interested in being a team leader and seeing the defensive backs improve a unit. If he is going to be a part of that improvement, he has a short time to make it happen.

"I only have two years in Laramie," Gafford said. "I want to make a name for myself and make friends."

https://wyoming.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1836529

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News