ADVERTISEMENT

Harwell to visit UW basketball on Wednesday

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
One of the more sought-after prospects in the intermountain west will be in Laramie next Wednesday to look over the Wyoming basketball program. Malek Harwell is a 6-foot-4, 175-pounder from Century High School in Pocatello (Ida.) who plans an aggressive trip across the country to see family and check out a few potential college destinations.

Harwell averaged 22 points, four assists, and three steals per game last season and claims offers from Wyoming, Portland State, Tulsa, Utah State, Weber State, San Francisco, Boise State, Toledo, and Lehigh. He is also hearing from Memphis, Kansas State, Cal, and Colorado. He claims the final three as his favorites thus far.

"This week I am just ready to get to these schools and look for a good coaching staff, who are good with the people around them," Harwell said. "I want to see how they run their program."

While Harwell has already been to Boise State, he will spend next week visiting family in Memphis, as well as the Tigers' basketball program. On the way home he plans to hit Boulder and Laramie. He said he is seeking a staff that won't try to change him too much and let him do the things he likes doing on the hardwood.

"I like to play pick-and-roll basketball, an up-tempo offense and be really aggressive on defense forcing turnovers and trapping," Harwell said.

Harwell said Wyoming Assistant Coach Scott Duncan and Head Coach Larry Shyatt have been handling his recruitment and he has been impressed with what he has seen thus far.

"I am considering Wyoming because of Coach Shyatt as well as how well they did last year," Harwell said. "The conference is really tough too. They are telling me I can play real quick there and they see me being a playmaker and a scorer, while setting up the other players on the team as well."

This summer Harwell, who plays summer league with Utah Basketball Club, is coming back from an April knee injury and rehabbing in hopes of gaining explosiveness to the basket.

"I shoot really well and I can distribute pretty good too," he said. "I need work on becoming a more explosive player to the basket. I am a player who likes to get up-and-down the court and defend right in your face.

Malek Harwell

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News