ADVERTISEMENT

Dameko Doddles commits to Wyoming football

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
Ask Douglass High School Coach Willis Alexander what position one of his star pupils, Dameko Doddles plays and it may take a while to get the complete answer.

"He is a pretty damn good football player," Alexander said. "We have used him all over the field. We have lined him up at tailback, inside receiver, outside receiver, in the secondary, kicker, punter, kick returner, and punt returner.

"When you see him on film, you think he is just too good to be true."

Doddles will take that position flexibility to Laramie next year after reaffirming his commitment to the University of Wyoming. The 6-foot-2, 198-pounder, who is likely to play wideout at Wyoming, is a three-star recruit, according to Rivals.com. He was also rated as the 24th best player in the state of Oklahoma a year ago by the Oklahoman newspaper.

Doddles had originally committed to Wyoming in July, however he said the Wyoming coaching staff told him they would prefer if he visit the campus before they would accept his commitment. His visit came this weekend and his trip to Laramie did not disappoint.

"I enjoyed my experience visiting Wyoming this weekend," Doddles said Sunday night. "I liked the atmosphere at the game, and I really liked the players and the coaches. They wanted me to come and visit to learn a little more about the program, and the state, as well as the direction the program is going."

Doddles said he told the coaching staff he is still excited to be a Cowboy and he said they responded with excitement of their own. Doddles said the Cowboy coaches are telling him they want him to play an outside receiver position where he will likely see a lot of one-on-one coverage.

Doddles caught five touchdown passes and rushed for one last season, according to the Oklahoman, and also totaled 49 tackles.

"Last year we just decided to put the ball in his hands and let him make plays," said Alexander.

Alexander said Doddles has been forced to grow up quickly off the field. He said Doddles lost his mother to cancer in April and his 23-year-old sister is acting as his parent for he and his 20-year-old brother. Despite the loss, Alexander said Doddles has stayed the course.

"He is trying to live out the path his mother wanted for him in getting an education," Alexander said. "He is doing as well as anyone can do in that circumstance. He is a good character kid."

Dameko Doddles

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News