ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboys Offer Casper Natrona's Taven Bryan

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
For the second year in a row the Wyoming football coaching staff has offered a scholarship to a player from Casper's Natrona County High School. Last year it was 2013 Cowboy commit Ryan Ayana.

Last weekend the Cowboy coaches offered a scholarship to Mustang Taven Bryan.

Bryan was named First Team All-State as an offensive tackle last year and second team All-State as a defensive end for the state champion Natrona County Mustangs.

"Taven is big, fast, athletic and tough," wrote Bryan's coach, Steve Harshman. "He is one of our hardest workers and has started every game his sophomore and junior year. He will be a great recruit for the University of Wyoming and will be fun to watch. However, first things first, Taven is hard at work preparing to have a great senior year and help the Mustangs have a successful season."

Bryan is a 6-foot-5, 250-pound offensive tackle/defensive end prospect. He said he was in Laramie last weekend for the Cowboys Junior Day when he was approached by the Pokes' head man and offered a full ride to play in Laramie.

"It went pretty well," Bryan said of his visit to Laramie. "They took my weight and height and they took me aside, I met with Coach Christensen and he offered me a full ride and then we went and watched a basketball game."

Bryan said the Junior Day offered a look at the Cowboy program, as well as an overview of the academic possibilities in Laramie.

"It was generally a nice place," Bryan said of the University of Wyoming.

The scholarship offer wasn't Bryan's only offer this week. Wednesday night Bryan said the Colorado State coaching staff called to offer a scholarship of their own. Bryan said he would likely set up a visit to Fort Collins as well in the near future.

"It's been pretty interesting this week," Bryan said of his newfound college options. "That is what I want to do - I want to play college football at DI. I want to experience that life and play at the next level."

While Bryan was born and raised in Casper, he said he didn't necessarily grow up in a family that has a strong lean towards the Cowboys.

Bryan said he is going to explore his options before committing to a program and might consider a different set of surroundings, including a larger community. He said academics would play a big role in his selection. Currently, he is considering Law or Engineering as a career.

In addition to Wyoming and Colorado State, Bryan said he is talking to the coaching staff at South Dakota, though they have yet to offer a scholarship.

When not playing football Bryan said he also wrestles and throws for the track team. He said he didn't take to the mat this winter due to a minor knee surgery, but he did finish fifth in the discus at the Wyoming State Track Meet a year ago.

According to Harshman, Bryan isn't the only Natrona County Mustang the Cowboy coaches are keeping their eye on. Connor True is a 6-foot-4, 235-pound offensive lineman and defensive end who had an invite to Junior Day, but was unable to make it last week.

"It is my understanding that UW is interested in Connor as well," Harshman wrote to GoWyoGgo.com. "He is busy in the basketball season and was unable to attend the Junior Day at the University. Connor is another big, fast, athletic and tough football player for the Mustangs. He has started every game his Sophomore and Junior year and has been a full time two way starter. He is an outstanding prospect and we look forward to Connor providing key leadership for the Mustangs his senior year."

Taven Bryan

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News