ADVERTISEMENT

College football needs more fixing.

TheScore...OhTheScore

Trail Boss
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2015
Wyoming
College football is never ever going to be the sport I grew up with again, so you have to learn as a Poke fan to adapt. But, can we at least agree that there needs to be some major fixes to the current mess? My ideas to fix it:

1. Change the portal date until after January 1. Teams should at least have one more shot to remain as a team and not have their entire roster leave before the bowl. Not only is it hard on the teams, it is a disaster for the quality of the bowl game. Why am I watching the Guarantee Rate Guarantee Bowl if there is not a guarantee anyone is there to play except the 3rd string scrubs? Its about ratings, man.

2. NIL should not be paid to players until they have actually done something. Nothing worse than an 18 year old primadonna that arrives on campus with buttloads of cash and not any real accomplishments. Moneys should be earned and not paid until graduation and kept in a trust. Universities should pay more per diem and full living costs to all athletes so there arent any athletes that are literally starving like some were reported in the 90s.

3. Stricter rules regarding transfers. I have no issue with players transferring when the HC leaves. But I think there should be some sort of penalty for leaving otherwise, even if it is only sitting out for a few games. And current transfers have millions of exceptions allowing them to transfer literally 5 times in 5 years with any excuse to get out.

4. Change the playoff format. You have to win your conference to go to the playoff. Period. Otherwise conference championship games will be worthless. I like the idea of playing all the conference games, all the bowls with traditional matchups and play a playoff when it is all done. You have to win your bowl. You have to be a conference champion in order to get in. This one helps with number 1 so the bowls actually mean something.

Eventually greed will win and the big boys are going to all leave to form a semi pro league of 40 to 60 schools. It would be neat if leadership for the MWC could put together a contingency plan and not be caught with our collective pants down. We can all agree that this sport is a mess and could get even messier for the student athlete at smaller universities so it would be great if we could get ahead of it for once. But until then, I think my ideas or a variation of my ideas would help.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News