ADVERTISEMENT

You Gotta Give it 6-7 Games...

Raydio

Rough Rider
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
...hopefully Edwards sees he needs to have better combinations of players on the court.

I’ve posted on this topic before— coaches’ insistence/reliance on the three pointer makes the game less enjoyable. Not the shot itself; but coaches’ insistence on using it believing it can keep them competitive, and the obstinate refusal to go away from it. It's a 33 percent shot. Kills the fast break. Living on the arc only works if you have 2-3 proven, reasonably consistent shooters, and when it isn’t going down, get off the arc. We made one 3 in the second half last night. Fully half of our shots for the entire game were three’s. We made 5-29. Not enough dribble drives, pull ups for 12 footers. IMV, UCSB won last night was because they had a better bench, and had better balance with their shot selections. They go 2-10 from three arc in the second half, so they go elsewhere and go 10-13 inside the arc. JJ figured it out; 20 points with no threes and 10 points from the line.

UC Santa Barbara was picked by some to win the Big West this year, and I thought they were decent. We have a lot of raw players who should take the opportunity to establish themselves as options other than 3-point shooters. Whether Edwards subscribes to that notion….

I’m looking to see if Edwards adjusts minutes for some players for the OSU game and uses different combinations than last night. Banks deserves more run. Hendricks with an off night? I can’t make any conclusion about this year’s team until after 6-7 games—by then hopefully we’ll have more workable combinations on the floor than what I saw last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News