ADVERTISEMENT

Yearly reminder that Stars mean nada

Track Poke

Rancher
Aug 26, 2013
I'm insanely bored at work (might have something to do with me day dreaming about my vacation coming up), so I started looking through the last few recruiting classes for UW football. Here's some of the interesting things I noticed:
  • Since the 2002 recruiting class (excluding 2016), UW has only landed 37 three star recruits
  • 2011 had the most three star commits with 8 (notables: Eddie and Mark Nzoecha)
  • Of those in the NFL, only Tashaun Gipson and Marqueston Huff had 3 stars attached to their names
  • notable two star commits : Brett Smith, Tanner Gentry, Brian Hill, Andrew Wingard (this still shocks me, he was CO Gatorade POY), DJ May, Uso Olive, all of the Florida defensive backs we currently have, Shaun Wick, Derrick Martin, Chris Prosinski and Mike Percel
  • big time whiffs on three star recruits : Trent Sewell, Adam Pittser (to be fair, Brett Smitt snatched that job from him), Sam Awrabi, Josh Doctson (the one who got away), Kurt Taufa'asau (was supposed to be the answer on the defensive interior), and Todd Knight (I vividly remember the amount of hype around this kid coming in)
  • we even landed a 4 star lineman, Jon Hawk, in 2002 -- who never ended up putting on a UW uniform

What's this all mean? Mainly that I need to get a life, but that star systems aren't the end all-be all, especially at schools like UW that focus more on developing talent. Of COURSE you want as many highly touted recruits as possible. However, the stars don't tell the whole story. Only two 3 star guys made the league. TWO! We shouldn't go too nuts over three star kids, or complain about two star kids. Just have to look at their body of work and their potential. Three star recruits have just as much - if not more, considering hype/expectations - potential to flame out as lower star recruits.

GO POKES.

Reactions: county 4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News