ADVERTISEMENT

WR Bailey Gaither talks UW Offer

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
As the Wyoming football staff continues to infuse the program with new talent, it has set its sights on Paso Robles (Calif.) wide receiver Bailey Gaither. The 6-foot-1, 170-pound wide out who claims a 4.49 time in the 40-yard dash was recently offered a scholarship by the Cowboy coaching staff, to go along with offers from Montana State, Cal-Poly, and New Hampshire.

Last season Gaither caught 59 passes for 1,017 yards, and 17 touchdowns. He also averaged 50.5 yards per kick return a year ago for the 7-3 Paso Robles High School squad on his way to All-County and All-CIF honors.

"I run fast, I have hands, I know how to make plays when I have the ball in my hands," he said when asked to scout himself. "I am pretty versatile, I can play offense, defense and special teams. I am just a playmaker."

Gaither said if he does come out to Wyoming it won't be his first time in the Cowboy State. He said he and his family have driven into Wyoming during the summer and this year he would like to add a side visit to Laramie to this summer's trip.

"I have actually been there a few times and I like it. It is a beautiful area," Gaither said. "I am going there this summer and I want to run by the campus and talk to the coaches. I think it would be real neat to go there and take an unofficial."

Gaither said at this point he plans to play football in college, although he may have some opportunities on the baseball diamond as well as he hit .506 in conference this year with 32 stolen bases and three home runs.

"It is most likely going to be football, but I will leave my options open because I have another year," he said.

If Wyoming is able to secure Gaither's services it will have to battle a number of schools who have begun talking to Gaither. In addition to the scholarship offers from Montana State, New Hampshire, and Cal-Poly, Gaither said he has spoken to San Jose State, San Diego State, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, Utah, USC, Washington, and North Carolina.

"I have been to Cal-Poly to a couple of their practices, and to a San Jose State's Junior Day," he said. "I have been pretty busy with baseball and most of the Junior Days are during the baseball season."

Gaither said it is still early in his recruitment and he doesn't see any need to rush the process.

"It is still pretty early," he said. "I am going to have to wait and see. I am going to have to visit schools and I'll make a decision when it feels right."

Bailey Gaither

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News