ADVERTISEMENT

So if Coach Sawvel goes .500 in the first five years...

Raydio

Rough Rider
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
…does that mean he’s kept the program stable? Did Dave Christensen get canned too early before he could make the program stable? I chuckle a bit when I read posts stating how Bohl brought “stability” to the program. In Dave Christensen’s five years he went 27-35 overall compared to Bohl’s 28-25. Bohl did him three games better in conference play though, going 19-21 to DC’s 16-23. So apparently three games separated “program in shambles” necessitating a firing---so we could bring in a new guy and develop a stable foundation who escaped the ax.

Starting to wonder if Sawvel wins 9 games next year, maybe Bohl should get the credit.

Perhaps if we had kept DC around for another five years he too could have (like Bohl did) go 32-25 overall and 18-20 in conference play-- and brought stability to the program. Really lay a foundation. We’ll never know, but the definition of “solid foundation” has taken on a whole new meaning in recent days. We’re really now saying 32-25 overall and 18-20 in conference in the last five years is foundational stuff; I guess it is then....beating Toledo will probably change the term again.

A lot of narratives being pushed by UW and "company men" that seem like they're trying too hard. Much of the praise directed toward Bohl seems to be everywhere except the football field. I’m just glad the AD made a bold move and walked down the hall to find his next head coach.

Bohl recruited well on defense, misused Josh Allen, recruited Brian Hill, Curtis Granderson, Logan Wilson and beat up CSU(which probably played a not-so insignificant factor in his longevity). I wanted him extended after the one and only Boise win.

I also remember a $hitload of injuries, (is Sean Chambers walking without a boot yet?), the home losses to New Mexico and Hawaii in 2021, and of course the call vs. Boise St. last year at home.

Can’t and won’t buy the stability talk. One can also claim correctly that he enjoyed the grace of an ineffective AD who chose to retain a .500 coach for 10 years rather than take a risk and aspire to higher goals.

Good luck to the new guy though…by the new standards, he should have a decent shot at success.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News