ADVERTISEMENT

Quick FB Thoughts

NowherePoke

Cattle Baron
Gold Member
May 8, 2004
I know I am generally considered negative towards Bohl, but I have said before and will confirm here that a 8-4 season with a winning MWC record, a P5 win, and the boot is a good year and I am happy with it.

A few quick hot takes:

1. Polasek is doing a really good job- I thought this was the best designed and called offense I have seen during Bohl’s tenure. It wasn’t the best because as good as Peasley, Waylee, etc. are they aren’t Allen, Hill, Gentry, Hollister, etc. However there were some very well designed players, timely calls, and balance.

2. Peasley will be missed- I saw CowboyJD mention in another thread that he thought Svoboda was better than Peasley but I don’t see it. Peasley’s speed is a game changer on scrambles. Svoboda is a more powerful runner but having a QB execute power runs and take hits is not a good recipe to have the QB upright all year. Svoboda did a fantastic job this year with his poise in a very difficult situation at Texas and executing when given the chance but he has a ways to go and there is no guarantee he gets there. I mean, I get it. He’s huge, mobile, has a big arm and wears #17. It’s hard to not get excited but in thought overall this year we had the best QB play that we have had since Allen because of Peasley. Which leads me to..

3. Our OL is not that good - This is my hottest take. I think Peasley was even more impressive because as the season went on I felt like we really lacked the ability to just line up and run the football. That’s what this team is built on and we couldn’t really do it, especially against good defenses. This is an area that needs a lot of focus in the offseason IMO. Along with..

4. RB position- even if Waylee comes back this is a position that needs a lot of focus. I am not being critical of Farrell or Scott but neither is good enough to be a primary back at this level. I wasn’t impressed with brief glimpses of Hollingsworth either. Need a talent infusion here either from redshirts, true freshman, or the portal . Maybe all of the above.

5. Bohl Adapting- As Nebraska pointed out in another thread, Bohl has made some real changes to adapt to the changes in the sport. He has embraced the portal to just the right amount IMO and he has apparently adjusted his approach to relationship building among the players. It’s time for one further adaptation: Game Management. We do not value possessions highly enough. We are too likely to punt or kick a FG. Significant evidence supports this point. Bohl has really shown the ability and willingness to adjust, time for one more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News