ADVERTISEMENT

Official Coaching Candidate Thread

NowherePoke

Cattle Baron
Gold Member
May 8, 2004
I know we have covered this in a lot of other threads, but I thought we could have one central thread where we discuss, argue, and most importantly inject hope into our discussion of UW Hoops.

I will start off with what I see as a list of 5 potential candidates. My criteria is that they have successful D-1 HC experience and that they appear to be attainable for our position.

Candidates:

1. Tim Miles (Fox Sports, formerly Nebraska HC)

Why Should We Hire Him: Successfully coached NDSU through the transition from D2 to D1, developing a 20 game winner (borderline Top 100 KenPom) team despite being new to D1 and not yet having a conference. Inherited half a roster at CSU and built it into a NCAA tournament team. Experience with the MWC and this region of the country. Engaging personality which will be a benefit in restoring a dormant fanbase.

Why Shouldn't We Hire Him: We can dance around it, but he really was not successful at Nebraska. Nebraska might not be the best job in the Big 10, but UW isn't the best job in the MWC either. Nebraska has good fan support, a fantastic building, and lots of resources and he didn't get it done. He coached at our rival and there is a little bit of weirdness there.

Why Would He Take The Job: He doesn't currently have a coaching job and he has stated clearly that he wants one. It is unlikely he will be in the mix for P5 jobs.

2. Jeff Linder (Northern Colorado HC)

Why Should We Hire Him: Took over a UNC team in tough shape (NCAA probation, losing record) and has built them up steadily going 7-11, 11-7, 15-5 in Big Sky play (currently 4-2 this year after some significant graduation losses last year). Was the Assoc HC for Leon Rice at BSU as they built up that program from 4-10 in the MWC to regular season co-champs. Familiar with the MWC and the region. Deep roots in Colorado.

Why Shouldn't We Hire Him: He has done well at UNC, but no conference titles or legit postseason (CIT doesn't count). Not a big name that will win the press conference.

Why Would He Take the Job: Money, Money, Money...Money! His compensation would at least double, and possibly triple. Upgrade in conference, resources, etc.

3. Jason Hooten (Sam Houston State HC)

Why Should We Hire Him: 10 years of D-1 HC experience at Sam Houston State. He has won over 65% of his conference games at SHSU, including a regular season title last year and they are in the mix this year.

Why Shouldn't We Hire Him: All of his experience is in Texas (no experience in the Rocky Mountain region) and he has yet to get them to the NCAA tournament despite all the success (his record at SHSU looks a lot like Legerski's in Women's Hoops although with a regular season title).

Why Would He Take the Job: Compensation is probably going to double and it is a clear step up in conference and resources.

4. Shantay Legans (Eastern Washington HC)

Why Should We Hire Him: Young up and coming coach that seems to be getting a lot of positive buzz. Finished in the Top 3 in the Big Sky in each of his first 2 seasons at EWU and is currently tied with Linder/UNC in 2nd behind Montana this year.

Why Shouldn't We Hire Him: Pretty limited experience overall with all of his coaching experience at EWU as either an assistant or HC.

Why Would He Take the Job: Similar to Linder and Hooten, it would be a lot more money and a step up.

5. Rick Croy (Cal Baptist HC)

Why Should We Hire Him: This is kind of out of left field, but he has a solid resume. Started as a JUCO HC where we won 80% of his games, then led Cal Baptist as a D2 program to an 83% winning percentage and an Elite Eight before transitioning to D1. Went .500 in the first year at D-1 and currently has them at 3-1 in the WAC, 13-5 overall in just their 2nd year at D1.

Why Shouldn't We Hire Him: All of his experience is in California, no experience recruiting at a MWC level.

Why Would He Take The Job: Not sure honestly. I was reaching with this one.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News