ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops versus Football, the Transfer Portal

TheScore...OhTheScore

Trail Boss
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2015
Wyoming
I will preface this by saying that I do not agree in the overall principle of allowing player transfer without any implications. Not saying I am in favor of the old ways but I think the new rules need tweaking. With the NIL money and the portal, the state of college athletics has become a state of chaos and I think long term it ultimately hurts the college athlete, teaching them that any obstacle in their way can be easily be solved by giving up and moving on.

But to use the cliche, it is what it is. College coaches with have to adapt or die. UW is a good example of two different ways of approaching the changing ways of the world. The Wyoming football program is disintegrating before our eyes, but the basketball team is thriving. Bohl has put a band aid over a flesh wound by fixing the attrition with the portal but his 1950s offense is the elephant in the room. Bohl can find linebackers and defensive linemen but finding another Neyor is a pipe dream. Using Bohl's logic the portal hurts the program, big time. No longer can he con athletes to play wide out and block all game. And any conference title aspirations are probably done as long as Bohl is at the helm. In 2022, there is no such thing as a "developmental program".

Meanwhile Linder has an up and coming program and if he chooses, can rapidly make the Cowboy roster a conference power by adding a few older transfer players. Most Cowboy hoops fans would acknowledge we are roughly two or three players away from being a serious contender. In addition, in the old days, players like Dut that didn't really fit would hesitate to leave because they didnt want to sit out the transfer year, but now can clear a roster spot immediately for the Cowboys and the athlete can go find a program that fits their skills. Its a win, win.

Its apparent that the portal is not really bad or good, it is a tool. If you are an old has-been, stuck in the days of leather helmets you will suffer. If you are innovative and progressive, not only will you survive, you will thrive. The transfer portal will FORCE the college coaches to fix the issues in their program IMMEDIATELY instead of kicking the can down the road or ignoring it. I am done bitching about the portal and hope that leadership and the AD will adapt. Again, it is, what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News