ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboys Eye Gillette, Wyoming Quarterback (Austin Fort)

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
After a season in which he led the offense of arguably the second-best team in the State of Wyoming, Gillette quarterback Austin Fort finds himself something of a wanted man, as college football coaches begin recruiting the Class of 2014.

As a Junior last season, Fort threw for 2,137 yards and 13 touchdowns. The dual threat quarterback also managed 735 yards rushing and another 10 touchdowns in leading his Campbell County Camels to a second place finish in Class 4-A. Fort said he has been timed in the 40-yard dash at 4.6 seconds and squats 375 pounds.

"I am a pocket quarterback, but I can also get out of the pocket and make plays with my feet," Fort said when asked for a self scouting report. "At the same time, I can contribute to the running game. We run a lot of read option, so I can pose that threat to defenses."

Fort was invited to Laramie last weekend for Junior Day and came away impressed.

"I had seen the Wyoming campus once," Fort said. "It was nice to get back there again. I got to see all the coaches and right away I got to meet (Quarterbacks coach Jason) Gesser and got to meet the coaches I had met before like (Recruiting Coordinator Matt) Rahl and (Director of Player Personnel and Recruiting, Danilo) Robinson. I got a tour of the campus and got to hear Coach Christensen talk to everyone, so that was great."

Fort said he arrived in Laramie a day after Gesser had spent some time with his highlight tape. Fort said Gesser liked what he saw and has a plan in mind for Fort's recruitment.

"He said he wanted to see me throw in the spring, whether that means he would come out and see me or I would come to one of their camps. They will do that before they decide whether they are going to offer or not," said Fort.

Despite recently moving from Florida to Gillette, Fort seemed impressed with what Wyoming has to offer and said he will remain in contact with the UW coaches.

"I think it is a great fit," Fort said of Wyoming. "It has a great coaching staff, facilities and their offense is very similar to the one we run at our high school. That would be a good possibility for me and I am excited about the possibility of going there."

Wyoming isn't the only school on Fort's radar. He said he sent a highlight tape to the University of Illinois and has been in contact with the Ilini coaches as well.

"We sent my film to them and the next thing I know we called Coach (Tim) Beck and we have been emailing back and forth," Fort said. "They said they liked my film and would like me to make a visit in the spring. From there, they say they like what they have seen and they would like to see me throw at a summer camp as well."

Austin Fort

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News