ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Culver City (Cali.) DB Allen Smith Commits To Wyoming

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
Culver City (Cali.) cornerback Allen Smith received a scholarship offer from Wyoming in June and made his first visit to Laramie over the weekend during the Pokes home win against Wofford. Smith verbal committed on Sunday after a good trip to the high plains.

The 5-foot-8 and 170 pound prospect had an offer from UC-Davis and was talking with UNLV, UTEP, Army and Navy coaches throughout the process. He's good academically proven by the academy interest in him.

Allen is a physical defensive back for his size, though he'll likely be a nickle candidate in Wyoming's defensive scheme. The same hybrid position played by current Poke Tyler Hall, a player along with UW cornerback Antonio Hull, the Culver City product spent much of his time with over the weekend.

"It was good to see how the fans support the team, while still in a small town," said Allen while he observed War Memorial Stadium on Saturday Gameday. "I feel good about my decision since I see myself focusing well in the environment without little distractions. Getting away home and becoming a man. It's a place where I see giving me the opportunity to reach where I want to get."

UW head coach Craig Bohl with his coaching staff spent a good amount of time evaluating film on Allen.

"Coach Bohl said he watched all my highlights from the beginning to the end, and took a good look at me," Allen said. "Bohl said he liked my physical nature, the ability to cover both big receivers and small wideouts. They liked my competitiveness.

"While touring, everything is new and nice around the campus. The team makes you feel like a brother and it's a place where I can survive and thrive to reach my goals."

Smith was mainly recruited by UW assistant coach John Richardson, where both the coach and prospect have developed a good relationship.

"Coach Richardson likes the way I compete for a smaller guy and feels I am competitive with any D1 dudes out there," Smith said earlier in the summer. "They are recruiting me as a DB or nickle position player."

The 2019 prospect plays both sides of the ball in high school at secondary and wide receiver.

"My strengths are probably that I'm tough at the line of scrimmage and have good hip movement," said Smith. "Areas I want to improve is ball skills and playing the ball in the air."

Allen said he wants to make another visit to Laramie before the season ends, perhaps checking out another Cowboy game in the near future. He is "solid" committed to Wyoming football after a good weekend.

https://wyoming.rivals.com/news/culver-city-cali-allen-smith-visits-laramie-commits

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News