ADVERTISEMENT

Bohl Isn't up to the New Reality...

Raydio

Rough Rider
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
...which by the way for the record, I think sucks. Swen's stated reason, “just ain’t fit my style, ” while perfectly understandable, represents a modern-day player who quits his team if his "style" is cramped, much like a 5th grader would in little league. Did the two try to work out a solution? Whose ears were more plugged?

Four SMU players simply quit in early October after the team started 2-2. Just like that.

If anything would drive Bohl away from coaching, this sort of thing seems it. It's got to be tough to give up control to kids you recruit, develop, give playing time to, etc. who can end up succeeding to the point they feel comfortable calling you out about not being their "style"--and the only remedy is booting them.

It's even tougher when your won/loss record at UW literally defines mediocre.

More and more players today have no problem questioning a coach's philosophy when they lose or are average, and dismissing them is about the only way left to keep discipline. That or win games... Miami Hurricane coach Mario Cristobal addressing players & parents bitching about the program and playing time:

"I’m a parent myself and I think it’s important to teach our own children to handle stuff like adults in a face-to-face manner. As it relates to posting on social media I was raised very different than anything that would relate to anything such as that. A parent is very free and welcome to pick up their son if they’re not happy with their playing time at the University of Miami and I guess that’s my philosophy.”

That kind of talk will probably get him fired for being divisive...lol. In nine years, UW's program only once (briefly) looked like it was on an upward trajectory, and our developmental program approach now develops kids who go and hope to be champions elsewhere. That bonehead call vs. Boise apparently had residual effects....

Bohl's offense can't win big games, and some players are wise to that. More players today have no issue going bold on their coaches, particularly if they are stuffing the stat sheet while coach struggles to get above .500. But then the coach thinks people who question his style of coaching are little league coaches. Seems to me if he were winning more, he'd have more leverage in an argument about "style."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News