ADVERTISEMENT

Stanford and Cal.....

hirta

Cattle Baron
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2004
Greybull, WY.
Last night the ACC President's met and it was expected that Cal and Stanford's entry to the ACC would be voted upon, but it hit some big road blocks from reports. Evidently the one school that IS pushing for Cal and Stanford is Notre Dame as they have had a history with Stanford. From reports 5 of the league president's balked at letting these two schools in and a vote was not even taken. The key issue is that the ACC is monetarily behind the SEC and Big 12 and the gap is growing if it is doing anything. Adding Cal and Stanford would not help the financial situation, and if it did anything it would already divide up a pie that is not big enough for a number of schools. So the ACC president's are more interested in finding income streams than getting their revenue system divided up even more. Some of the school president's are not all that thrilled with Notre Dame, as even though they are a voting member of the ACC, they have every sport with the ACC except football, and this apparently rankles some school president's, so Notre Dame's name doesn't carry as much weight as they had hoped. My take is that this is a deal that has died.

So what now for Cal and Stanford? Good question. I have the feeling that Stanford would rather become eunuchs than join Fresno State and Boise State in the MWC. I still feel the most likely place for Stanford is as an independent for a few years and then see what happens. About Cal? Good question. There has been some talk about these (Stanford and Cal) joining the AAC, but there are major road blocks there as well.

I still think that Wazzu and Oregon State will be joining the MWC conference. I am thinking that there will be an agreement between Wazzu and Oregon State and the MWC that will be arrived at one of these days that will be something like, "Both schools have made application to become members of the MWC conference and they were accepted." The actual documents will be signed down the road, but the initial agreement will allow things to get started in the change over. I was under the impression that both Wazzu and Oregon State had made approaches to the Big 12 but there was no interest on the Big 12's part to invite them. There is absolutely no interest from the Big 10 or the ACC. The AAC does not appear to be a good fit for a number of reasons. There was a report that Wazzu and Oregon State were waiting to see what happens with Cal and Stanford before they move, and that appears to be solved except for what happens with Cal. I have read that there are some legal issue within the conference that need to be clarified, and as soon as the two schools (and maybe Cal) are comfortable enough with their positions then most likely negotiations with the MWC will take place. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that talks have already began but nothing is being put out as yet, as things are happening, but it is all behind closed doors.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News