ADVERTISEMENT

Juco QB visiting Laramie

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
The University of Wyoming football team faces a large question mark at the quarterback position coming into spring football this year as starter Colby Kirkegaard has graduated and a number of underclassmen and transfers will rush to try to take over the key position.

The Junior College quarterback recently completed his freshman year at Reedley College in California where he passed for 2,055 yards and 26 touchdowns to just 5 interceptions. Allen completed 49 percent of his passes. He also ran 113 times for 660 yards and 10 more scores. Thanks to those numbers Allen has been offered scholarships by Wyoming as well as Eastern Michigan. He said Indiana has also been in contact.

As a freshman transfer with a strong academic standing, Allen said he will have four years to play three and will transfer so he is able to participate in spring practice no matter which college he attends.

"I throw the ball a long ways and I use my feet to extend plays," he said when asked for his strengths on the field. "I am also able to keep my eyes downfield. Improvising is a big part of my game."

Allen said the Wyoming coaches got in contact with him the weekend of their Fresno State contest and they have been talking ever since. For Allen, the chance to play early is appealing.

He said ever since talking to the Cowboy coaches he has paid close attention to the Wyoming offense. While he is used to more of a spread offense, he said he feels Wyoming's pro-style would fit him well.

"They said they would give me a chance to compete for the starting job," Allen said. "If I am not at least second on the depth chart they would redshirt me and I would hopefully be the man for three years."

Allen said if he likes what he sees this weekend in Laramie, he wouldn't hesitate to commit and he has no plans to take other visits at this time.

"I'll go home and talk to my parents about it and if we like it maybe we'll go home and have a signing party or something," he said.

Allen, a kinesiology major, came out of Firebaugh (Calif.) where he passed for 5,269 yards and 59 touchdowns in his career and rushed for another 608. He said attending a high school of around 600 he didn't get much college exposure and chose to take the JUCO route in hopes of raising that profile. He said he chose Reedley because it was a school in a small town which would help him to concentrate on football.

Josh Allen

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News