ADVERTISEMENT

Juco DE Tavita Faaiu commits to UW

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
The University of Wyoming recruiting class added one key piece tonight to what it hopes leads to a future championship when Tavita Faaiu decided he will become a Wyoming Cowboy. The 6-foot-3, 225-pound defensive end from San Francisco City College was in Laramie last weekend to visit the University and after talking to his family today has decided Wyoming is the place for him.

"Everything I looked for I a school was there," Faaiu said Monday night. "All my questions were answered. And most importantly my family were excited about the school."

Faaiu accounted for 16.5 sacks, and 52 tackles last season and holds scholarship offers from Western Kentucky, Oregon State, and Wyoming.

Faaiu was previously an Oregon State commit and nearly committed to Western Kentucky before deciding to visit Wyoming last week. He said he enjoyed his time in Laramie and that he is intrigued by the fact the Wyoming coaching staff has told him they think he has an excellent chance to play right away.

"I am just going to do whatever it is the coaches want me to do," Faaiu said. "I'm gonna work hard and let everything fall into place."

As a freshman at San Francisco City College, Faaiu managed 63 tackles and six sacks.

According to a high school profile by Faaiu, he began playing football as a junior in high school and collected five sacks that year. The online profile said after his junior season he gained 30 pounds, worked out with his father and others from his church, along with watching online videos demonstrating line play and collected 71 tackles and 15 sacks as a senior for South San Francisco High School.

"My goal is to graduate from a four-year university so I can someday return to the islands and help, and encourage, and motivate the youth to see beyond their circumstances to do more than they think they are capable of," he wrote in his profile.

Tavita Faaiu

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News