ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Naughton talks about upcoming UW signing

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
With just one day left before National Signing Day, 6-foot-10, 220-pound big man, Jordan Naughton said he is excited to sign with the Wyoming Cowboys. The Etiwanda High School Senior said he is ready to bring his game from Rancho Cucamonga (Calif.) to the high plains of Laramie, Wyo.

"I'm very excited to finally sign and feel very blessed and privileged to be able to do sign," Naughton said Tuesday. "I'm happy with this decision and can't wait to get out there."

Naughton is one of four high school seniors expected to sign National Letters of Intent with Wyoming on Wednesday. The others are point guard Austin Conway, small forward Justin James and power forward Andrew Moemeka.

Naughton said he doesn't have anything special planned for a Signing Day ceremony, but his family is likely to get dinner as a celebration afterwards.

As a junior, Naughton averaged around 10 points and 10 rebounds a game last season, garnering a scholarship offer from Wyoming. In addition to the Cowboys, he was also recruited by Tulsa, North Carolina A&T, as well as California-Santa Barbara.

Naughton said for him the decision to commit to Wyoming in August came down to his feel with the coaching staff of the Cowboys.

"I feel so highly of the coaching staff and the way they run things," he said. "The most important factor in my decision was probably coaching and I felt very comfortable with the coaches and their plans on how I can benefit the team."

After committing, Naughton said he has stayed in close contact with the Wyoming coaching staff who have told him their expectations of him are to play with high intensity, rebound, and look to finish around the basket. Defensively, Naughton said the Wyoming coaches have told him they expect him to defend the rim and block or alter shots.

With recruiting out of the way, Naughton said he will now turn his attention to his high school season, which gets underway on December 1st.

"In practice I feel good about how far our team can go," Naughton said. "From last year I've really learned to be more consistent and play above the rim much more often, going after rebounds and just wanting the ball more."

Wyoming is also after a teammate of Naughton's in 2016 guard Bryce Peters. Naughton said he hasn't spoken to him much about the recruitment, but is interested in where he selects.

"I haven't spoken to him recently but I would encourage him to come to Wyoming," Naughton said. "He is still young so I don't expect him to decide to commit so soon or anything but I would love to play with him no doubt."

Jordan Naughton

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News