ADVERTISEMENT

GWG Q & A: UW Offensive Signees

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
After watching a team that was stout in the run, but struggled at times to move the ball with consistency, the Wyoming football coaches have recruited a number of players to Laramie with hopes of finding an offensive group capable of moving the ball in the MWC. Today, the staff at GoWyoGo.com take a few minutes to talk about the players in this class they are interested in seeing.

What trends did you see in recruiting on the offensive side of the ball this year?

Tom Lacock: The move was clearly to get more athletic across the board and nothing shows that more than seven kids who have played running back at some point in their high school careers. Even Skylor Clinton, who were recruited to play defensive end, had played running back as well as quarterback. I think this is an effort by the coaching staff to get more explosive and take that step sooner than later.

Ian McMackin: Craig Bohl's staff appeared to make an asserted effort to improve the playmakers on the offensive side of the ball with a number of players with the capability to play either side of the ball. An emphasis on adding some skill at the wide receiver position and heavy toward skill positions versus the trenches of the offensive line. I'd expect next year to be more balanced with more offensive linemen added.

Who was the biggest get in this class as of Signing Day 2015?

Tom Lacock: I want to see CJ Johnson. I liked his 5.6 rating, but it was Josh Helmholdt's (Rivals.com midwest analyst) comment that he wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson playing on Sundays that really knocked me off my feet. It has been a while since someone has said that about a Cowboy recruit.

Ian McMackin: I see both wide receivers C.J. Johnson and Justice Murphy as good adds to the program. I like Johnson's attitude in signing early and then becoming supportive of the program since he was one of the earlier commitments. Has a good relationship with Bohl and his staff and the right combination of attitude, skill, and size.

Who makes the earliest impact in this class?

Tom Lacock: I think C.J. Johnson has that potential. The Cowboys are losing some strong wide receivers and the reports on Johnson are that he runs disciplined routes and has the frame to play now. There is a part of you that would like to see him get a redshirt and develop in the Wyoming program for one more year, but he may not get that opportunity. I also think either Andrew Wingaard or Joseph Parker have a chance to make a name for themselves early in special teams.

Ian McMackin: I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe Parker make an early impact since he is already on campus after graduating high school early. As I mentioned earlier, I like the potential of both Johnson and Murphy hitting the field as freshmen. Chances are that not three freshmen will play at the same time, though a good bet one or two of these guys are playing next fall. Juco Quarterback transfer Josh Allen is already on campus and he's a prototype signal caller in this offense with his 6-foot-5 frame and should battle for the starting position this spring.

Four or five years from now, who is the guy or the guys that really made an impact on the Wyoming football program?

Tom Lacock: I can't wait to see if Kellen Overstreet is a product of small school football in Missouri or if he can be that guy who walks out an All-Conference/All-American. Something tells me that his yardage and touchdown totals (nearly 7,200 and 122 respectively) don't happen by mistake whether you are playing small school competition or NCAA Football 2005. If you look at the running backs Coach Bohl had with him in Fargo, they just produced and carried the water for three national titles. As quickly as this staff jumped on Overstreet, you have to think there was a reason. I can't wait to see what comes out of Overstreet before he leaves Laramie.

As a former center it is tough not to like the guys in the middle and Kaden Jackson is a player who ranked just a smidge below a three-star. With only two offensive linemen in this class his development could be a key to the Cowboys' returning to the upper half of the conference down the line.

Ian McMackin: The two offensive linemen signees in Kaden Jackson and Zach Wallace should have ample time to develop into quality players with development. Obviously, they were both high on the Pokes recruiting board and have the makeup to become the type of linemen Bohl wants in the program. Wallace has a terrific frame at 6-foot-7 and some natural ability to be built going forward.

Who is your under-the-radar guy offensively for 2015?

Tom Lacock: It is tough to say that a Junior College quarterback comes in under-the-radar given the fact there is an open quarterback competition, but I think Josh Allen does come in without a lot of hype. He does bring a little something different to the table than Colby Kirkegaard did last year in that he is more of a natural runner, but a 49 percent completion percentage last season means he may need a year as a redshirt before trying to earn the keys to the offense. I am also intrigued by Carl Granderson - 6-foot-6 and 185 is a tremendous frame to build on and a tough one to throw over as a quarterback.

Ian McMackin: I'll go back to offensive lineman Zach Wallace. Reading the recruiting reports on him is exciting to see where he can end up. He seems to be the prototype left tackle with long arms and his frame. WR Kevin Jackson isn't getting the same attention as some of the other receiver signees and could be a solid player in time for the program.

Who was the biggest disappointment or the one guy the Cowboys weren't able to get offensively in the Class of 2015?

Tom Lacock: I think it is Tevis Bartlett, but I'll qualify that by saying I don't think Bartlett or the coaching staff have anything to apologize for. I'm not sure the coaching staff could have done any more to get him to stay in Laramie and I don't blame Bartlett for looking further than the state's borders. There will be a day when recruits like Bartlett stay home and that day is coming sooner than later. The other young man I would like to have seen come to Wyoming is Tanner Borchart, the Nebraska offensive tackle. However, the young man has decided he is burnt out on football right now and didn't particularly like the recruiting process, so I think he has done the right thing in going to school to go to school.

Ian McMackin: I agree with Tom in that losing Bartlett was tough one to swallow. One of the most highly regarded high school players in the history of Wyoming, it was uneasy seeing him sign with the PAC 12 school. He could have made a large impact in many areas on the field and off with the fan base.

At the end of the day, how do you rate the offensive recruiting class of 2015?

Tom Lacock: It is a team that can't help but get more explosive with this group of players coming through the doors next fall. Be careful to temper expectations, but I think a couple years down the line you will see a major impact from this class and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few contribute as early as this year.

Ian McMackin: I especially like the wide receiver adds to this class and can see some weapons coming out of this group. It's hard to guage a class until a few years down the road, though I've always trusted Bohl's blueprint and his success coming from North Dakota State and I believe he has a eye for talent that can be developed. Sitting here today, the class looks good on paper.

GWG Q & A: Offense

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News