ADVERTISEMENT

December 12th: Second busy prospect visit weekend in Laramie

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
Another weekend in December means another weekend of official visits for Wyoming football prospects and this weekend the Cowboy coaching staff is bringing in a number of players, some of which have committed and others the Cowboys are hoping will soon.

Among the more interesting recruits visiting this weekend is already in the Wyoming stable. Cowboy commit Kellen Overstreet is a 5-foot-11, 198-pounder from Hamilton, Missouri native who gamed over 3,000 yards and 53 touchdowns two years ago. Just when you thought he couldn't out-do those numbers, he reports he rushed for 4,259 yards and scored 70 total touchdowns this year.

"I'm hoping I just get a feel for where everything is on campus and talk with some of the players and coaches, just stuff like that," Overstreet said when asked what he had hoped to see this weekend in Laramie.

Wyoming to-date has had success recruiting in the state of Oklahoma this year as Oklahoma City's Dameko Doddles is already committed to Wyoming, as has Jaylon Watson of Broken Bow and Davion Freeman. This weekend the Cowboys hope to convince Chris Pogi to put the bucking horse and rider logo on his helmet for the next four years.

Pogi is a 6-foot-2, 215 defensive end from Warr Acres, Okla. and Putnum City High School. Last season he accounted for 65 tackles, five sacks and one interception on defense, as well as 488 yards, a 13.2 yards per carry average and three touchdowns offensively. He will visit Wyoming this weekend, which is the only school to offer a scholarship at this point. He said he has also spoken to Oklahoma State, but there has been no talk of an offer right now.

"I want to see if I can picture myself (at Wyoming) for 4-5 years and will I have the resources to help me in the classroom as well as on the field," Pogi said when asked what he hopes to see this weekend in Laramie.

Pogi said he would consider committing to Wyoming this weekend, if he likes what he sees but is still open to looking at other schools as well.

Lynden (Wash.) native Bryce Sterk said he is anticipating a busy visit weekend for Wyoming pointing out he has three other Wyoming recruits on his flight into Denver.

The 6-foot-4, 230-pound defensive end said he is looking forward to meeting the staff he would be working with if he became a Cowboy. He is also looking forward to seeing what Laramie has to offer, as well as the facilities at Wyoming. Sterk has scholarship offers from Portland State, Eastern Washington, and Wyoming.

"So far my top 3 are Wyoming, Eastern Washington, and the University of Washington," he said. "I plan to commit shortly after my completing my official visits.

"A new head coach had caught my eye, and Coach Bohl has really impressed me with who he is and what he plans to do while at Wyoming."

Among the other prospects likely on Sterk's flight will be Derek Loville. The 6-foot-3, 185-pound wideout said he will be in Laramie this weekend. Loville said he is also talking to Colorado, Colorado State, and Washington State.

"I'm hoping to see that Wyoming has big plans for the future," he said. "I'm thinking my decision will be late sometime near signing day."

Nela Otukolo said he also on his way to Laramie and said his top three are Fresno State, Wyoming, and Villanova. The 5-foot-11, 240-pound inside linebacker plays for national powerhouse Bishop Gordon High School in Las Vegas.

Otukolo holds a bevy of scholarship offers including offers from Fresno State, Hawaii, Kent State, Montana State, Northern Arizona, Villanova, and Wyoming.

"I hope to see a place where I'll feel comfortable in, and I hope to see a place with a promising future," Otukolo said. "I am man of my word and when I make my commitment I will be 100 percent, so it's important to me to sit down with my family members before making my final decision."

Junior College Quarterback Josh Allen also said he will visit this weekend. Last season he passed for 2,055 yards and 26 touchdowns to just 5 interceptions for Reedley College in California. Allen completed 49 percent of his passes. He also ran 113 times for 660 yards and 10 more scores.

Allen came out of Firebaugh (Calif.) where he passed for 5,269 yards and 59 touchdowns in his career and rushed for another 608.

UW Prospect Visits

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News