ADVERTISEMENT

Cherry Creek's O'Malley Checks Out Wyoming

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
The recruiting process has just gotten underway for Cherry Creek High School Linebacker Steven O'Malley. The 6-foot, 225-pound O'Malley spent a day last week in Laramie where he took in the sights and sounds of the Wyoming football program.

"I like their program a lot," O'Malley said. "Their school is nice. It isn't too far from home or anything."

O'Malley said he also got some time touring the Wyoming facilities and talking to the Wyoming coaching staff. He said sees himself as a good fit in the Cowboy defensive scheme.

"The coaches talked to me about the defenses they run and what they are trying to do in the defenses they run," O'Malley said. "It looked like I would play either the weak side or middle linebacker and I would just have to play linebacker."

O'Malley was named second team All-Conference a year ago as he posted 57 tackles and one pass defended for the Class 5A state champions. He said he is currently hearing the most from Wyoming and South Dakota State, where he will visit soon.

"I am physical, fast and smart," O'Malley said. "I played safety my freshman and sophomore year. I like to play both safety and linebacker. The more hitting the more fun it is, so linebacker is fun and that is what I see myself playing at the next level."

O'Malley has yet to decide on a major but said he plans to camp at Wyoming, Colorado and the All-Poly Camp this summer in hopes of attracting a scholarship offer.

This weekend he will attend a Junior Day in Boulder at Colorado, which he said he is very familiar with.

"I went to most of their home games this year and I went to their Junior Day last year, but I know they are getting some new facilities, so I am not sure what I will see."

Stephen O'Malley

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News