ADVERTISEMENT

Back from Columbia...a few thoughts

Legal Pete

Trail Boss
Sep 2, 2016
Cheyenne, Wyoming
First, Zaleski either needs to step up or we need to find a new punter. He punts line drives when we need a wedge flop shot and he hangs short floaters when we need a canon shot. He had multiple chances, particularly during the WSU game, to flip the field and couldn't do it. He had more chances at Mizzou and flubbed.

Second, I agree with Cup - TVW is coming along. I am hopeful that his performance at Mizzou leads Vigen and Bohl to realize that they can trust him. Training wheels are for Game 1, at most. We don't have the luxury of any more toddler time - and I am not talking about TVW.

Third, Mizzou was the worst matchup for our Defense. They are very strong and upperclassmen heavy upfront, which negated our strength - our front 4. They also run a spread, which forces you to get quick pressure with your front 4 or risk getting sliced and diced with short passes or runs. I was more disheartened by the WSU performance in the 4th quarter than the effort at Mizzou. With a better and more innovative offense against the Boogers, our defense doesn't tire at the end and the game is a nail-biter.

Finally, I know P5 losses stink, but I also know that they can either be teachable moments or pathways to destroy a season. Apart from Nico's injury last week and Fort going down, we have fared fairly well in the injury department. So, I hope that we come out with an edge against Wofford and take them to the woodshed. If we do, I think that we go into the bye week with a shot to heal, regroup, retool and get ready for Boise. If we don't, I fear doubt will start to creep in. My great point of hope is that we have vocal and good senior leadership, particularly on defense, that hopefully woke up on Sunday quite agitated and hungry to show that 41 and 40 point showings are not to be tolerated. We shall see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News