ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Wingard talks UW commitment

Ian McMackin

Jun 13, 2002
It has been a big week for Ralston Valley High School running back Andrew Wingard. The 6-foot, 175-pounder from Aurora (Colo.) helped his second ranked squad past Pomona High School and a league championship on Friday. In doing so, he also broke the 1,000-yard mark for rushing and scored his 21st touchdown of the season.

"I was talking to my recruiting coach at Wyoming on Saturday and I told AJ Cooper I was probably going to commit this week or next," Wingard said. "I told him it feels real good and I am probably going to pull the trigger.

Then on Tuesday night I was playing video games and (Wyoming Coach Craig) Bohl called and said they really liked me and at some point they were going to have to ask me to make a choice. I told him I already made a choice and I committed."

Wingard said the Cowboy Coach got very excited and let out a yell at the news. He said the Wyoming coaches are telling him they want him to play in the defensive secondary, but haven't decided on a specific position at this point.

Wingard visited Wyoming for the Air Force game last month and said he liked what he saw as well as the attention the Wyoming coaches showed him.

Wingard ended his recruitment with scholarship offers from Wyoming and North Dakota. Wingard had been to a camp at Colorado-Boulder and had hoped for an offer from the Buffs. He said while he didn't get the Pac-12 offer, he found the right school.

"I was probably going to commit to Wyoming even if CU offered," Wingard said. "I was at the Air Force game and I loved the atmosphere, and the love I got from the coaches. I wanted the Pac-12 offer to see if I could reach that level, but I think I knew I was going to commit to Wyoming all along."

This season Wingard has rushed for an average of 126 yards per game. He has 16 touchdowns on the ground, another four receiving and one kick return score.

Andrew Wingard

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News