ADVERTISEMENT

3 week knee jerk reactions

ChicagoCowboy

Cattle Baron
Gold Member
Oct 1, 2001
Lot of this has already been said and some of this I have said before the season but...

1. Sawvel obviously could had benefited from an assistant coach on staff that had previous head coaching experience
2. Naming Svboda the presumptive starter going back to Spring Ball was a mistake...it ran off May or who knows who else...
3. If I remember correctly, I don't think Svboda even started in high school, maybe just his senior year, in a run heavy offense; he couldn't even get on the field at Snow Junior College. His time on the field in Laramie should nothing to be so easily anointed the starter
4. I mentioned this numerous times when Johnson was hired that was a bad hire...his offenses and qb play at Minnesota, Michigan State, and Colorada were all below average with terrible qb play. It's playing out like a bad movie in Laramie.
5. The continuity excuse to hire Sawvel has been played by Burman before - we've heard with Shaytt to Edwards and now Bohl to Sawvel. Does Burman think had Coach K and Saban roaming the sidelines? The thing is these coach's change to fit what they want to do - so continuity is just another way of saying we are hiring on the cheap. Alabama didn't hire anyone from Saban's staff to take over; no, they went out and hired someone outside their Alabama family. Change and evolution can be good.
6. It is apparent that recruiting has really backslid the past couple of years; a lot of misses in recruiting at WR, LB, and in the defensive backfield.
7. Which lead to - we are very unathletic and slow across the board. As Flo mentioned, our WRs and DBs could not get separation from Idaho's DBs or cover their receivers. One of my concerns the beginning of the season was that our LBs were slow and not good tacklers and that has proven out after two games.
8. Our interior Dline is too small and is getting pushed around.
9. Our Oline is uninspiring with its ability to get out in space and block.
10. It's one thing to play bad and lose a game. It's another to play sloppy, uninspired football for two straight weeks.

What would this Little League Coach do?

1. Last week I said make the change at qb after Air Force but after this week if the season is to be salvaged you got to do it now. I'd move Svboda to TE, make Anderson the starter and bring up the freshman qb as backup. If things go to hell you can always play Clemons.
2. Scheme wise I'm not sure I'm not sure there's much you can do but when Waylee comes back he should be getting 20-25 carries a game. I'd run more stuff inside the tackles and move away from the RPOs.
3. Durr needs to be on the field for at least 20 snaps a game. His speed would open the field for the underneath stuff to the TEs/WRs.
4. Defensively there is not much you can do; work on tackling in practice but I don't see the talent behind some of the players to take over. The defensive stats for Idaho look impressive but let's not kid ourselves. That was not a good team.
5. If this goes how it looks like it is heading, gotta clean house with the staff: Johnson, Grant, Haug, Tripodi get shown the door. Move up Bouknight to OC or go get someone else.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.